Hello,

Can someone please explain how to use source coder? When I paste my file for editing I see a lot of error messages and different colors red, blue, green and have now idea what to do/ change. Please help!
Vons wrote:
Hello,

Can someone please explain how to use source coder? When I paste my file for editing I see a lot of error messages and different colors red, blue, green and have now idea what to do/ change. Please help!

One thing that can cause a lot of errors is a strange thing that happens when you copy code from the forums, every line has a whitespace after it, which means that pretty much every line will throw an error. Presumably, this is what you've done, and I suggest either removing the whitespaces at the end of each line, or going back to where you found the code, clicking on the quote button, and copying the code from the post text area.
Another thing that you may have done is write out code as-is from your calculator. It's important to remember that because sourcecoder was designed to be easy to use on a computer, some of the tokens were modified or changed to make them easy to type on a computer, for example, the 2 different "-" symbols, to indicate negative numbers and subtraction in sourcecoder are "-" and "~", where "~" is negative, and the hyphen denotes the subtraction symbol. These small changes can cause problems, but generally, what will happen is the code will export anyway, but on-calc, it will not work as the tokens will not have been converted and will have been interpreted as text.
If it is your actual coding that is at fault, then there are quite a few things that can cause sourcecoder to throw errors, but it generally tells you where the mistakes are so you can go have a look at what the mistake might be and correct them as needed.
As for the colors, I may not be completely right about this, but I think green denotes a string, red denotes a variable, and blue denotes a token that will be converted to the correct token, and black is things that will remain as-is. However, this weird convention seems to be a little wonky and not respected, I don't really think there is much of a logic to it. Presumably, some person who shall remain unnamed (it was kerm) got lazy and dun goofed.
I think an example might be useful for you, therefore, here is a screenshot of what one of my programs looks like in sourcecoder, ready to export, without throwing errors.
I think you copied code directly from TI-connect, which will not work.

You need to download the program(s), then upload them to SC3.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours