I have some money my grandparents saved up for me and some cash of my own, over $700 in total, and I've been considering building a computer to use for gaming and game design. My original plan was to go to MicroCenter and get the best parts I could from their refurb/return racks (marked down anywhere from 20 to 70%) and build a machine I could keep upgrading periodically to last many years. Just for kicks though, I was browsing Craigslist and came upon this:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sys/4006830088.html

Details are in the post, but I'll list the specs here:

AMD Vishera 6 Core 3.5Ghz Stock 4.0Ghz Turbo Boost$250
Rock Solid Biostar AM3+ Supprting Motherboard $115
8GB of memory. DDR3 1600Mhz. Team Vulcan. $85
Radeon 7850 XFX or HIS 1GB GDDR5 Graphic Card $270
250GB Hitachi 7200 RPM Hard Drive $85
430W Cooler Master or Corsair or Thermaltake Coolmax SLI Crossfire and 80 Certified Power Supply $150
24x DVD Burner $25
Large aftermarket CPU cooler. Whisper quiet. Keeps temps below 50C. $60
Santey Extreme Division Gaming Case $125
2 of 120mm Case LED Fan $35

It looks good to me but I want to know what you guys think. I know the harddrive is lacking, but this isn't a problem for me, as I can buy additional/replacement drives from MC for dirt cheap if I need them, and I don't have any interest in an SSD or RAID setup.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours