I just got a TI-81 and TI-82 on eBay, and both have nonworking keys. On the TI-82, the [SIN] key and below don't work, and on the TI-81 the 2, ., and (-) keys don't work.
On both there was battery leakage, corroding some of the exposed key traces away. How do I reconnect the thin wires going from a key contact to the adjacent key? Do I just use a little blob of solder?

Edit: Some of the connections on the TI-81 that go through the PCB are missing from the corrosion, so they're empty holes. Can this be repaired?
It's hard. I usually strip a little of the trace, solder on a 30-awg wire, find a place on the other side of the discontinuity, and connect the other end. The hard part is often cutting a nick in the edge of the board to pass the wire from front to back.
The TI-81 will have to wait until I improve my soldering, but the TI-82's damage is minimal and the furthest connection that has to be made is about a millimeter. That one needs the most help for now; how do I do that fix?

Maybe that trace pen that I can find at my electronics store will do the trick for the 82, but that costs more than my calculators I just got. Either way, it'll be worth it, considering the cost of a working 82. Perhaps the robotics class will have one.
Strip the area and try dropping some solder on. If you can't get it to bridge neatly, put a tiny piece of 30awg conductor (without the plastic) in place to help the solder's surface tension break.
If trace pen doesn't work, I'll solder that connection.

Edit 11/18/12: It did work, once it was protected from the keypad rubbing away the CircuitWriter.

Edit 2: The TI-81 will be ready about 6 hours after the TI-82 was finished. I didn't finish it (intentionally) and just now finished the last connection. Hopefully I didn't short out anything.

Edit 3: The TI-81 is finished and working! I flooded the plated through holes that were destroyed by the corrosion with CircuitWriter ink, and it worked wonderfully.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours