In a matrice, I have made it 8x16, which i'm sure is the whole screen. How would I store the X and Y coords into the matrice and move an ASCII type character along the screen? So I could check the location of the character and cause an event of some kind to happen... (I'm wondering if this would be an easier type of tile-mapping for Basic)
And are their special hooks and tools I can use DCS7 with Basic? (...I'm pretty sure there are...)
Actually, you would not store the coordinates of the player in the matrix. Instead, your matrix would be filled with the terrain data, such as passable and impassable blocks. The player would have coordinates stored in two separate real variables (or a complex number), and any moving entities would be stored in complex numbers or paralell lists. If you want to preserve terrain types under items, you would also put any items in the paralell lists - otherwise, you could just set the default tile type when the player collects an item.

As for displaying certain characters on the screen for each tilemapping element, create a string with all of the glyphs in it, and index it using sub().
How would I index the string? (And create it, i'm just coming back to Basic and guess it's the same as Axe x.x) And then display the string on the screen. Along with checking which character or tile my character is standing on, or about to move upon?
http://tifreakware.net/tutorials/83p/b/tifw/les8.htm You might look into this, see if that doesn't offer you some insight into what you're looking to do.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours