I am rebuildilng a computer for my boss, i had to reload windows of course. He wanted windows XP.

After getting windows installed and set up, I went about the usual routine of doing updates. For some reason, windows update can not be displayed.

I can get to the update page, select express or custom. Then I get an error message (My summary ) "This page can not be displayed" inside of the windows update site. with the error code

Code:

0x0884200a (Think that is right)

I went to the windows error database, and did all 12 steps that was on the page. none of them worked.

I tried to re-install windows again. Same problem
Tried a new Install disk, Same problem
Tried a new hard drive, Same problem
Tried New Hard Drive with the new disk. Same problem.

I ran an avast boot scan of both hdds, and it found nothing. (did not think it would)

I am out of ideas of what could be wrong. Could it be a mobo problem? It is a rather old mobo, at least 6 years. (Yes he is rebuilding his computer, with a 5-6 year old mobo. I dont get it either)

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:

Code:

0x8024400A

that is the exact error code. I just put windows on my main PC again. And that is what I get.. Could it be because i dont have service pack 3? Just SP2? IS there a way around that ? I mean, a way to download SP3 and install it, without windows update.

thanks again
You can install XP SP3 by manually downloading it, but I doubt that is the issue. To me this sounds like it may be a dns issue.

Can other machines on the same network reach windows update?
If so try installing SP3 and IE8 manually by downloading them from Microsofts site and see if it helps. If neither of those work let us know.

According to your edit it doesn't work from another machine on your home network so I would bet DNS issues. Try setting your DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, which is Google's public DNS servers and see if that helps.
My moms PC, which has SP 3 and IE 8 on it worked fine. i thought that at first too. so I found where to get IE8 and SP3 manually. I got them installed on my PC, and now going to do a restart. will edit/repost with results.

EDIT: service pack 3 and IE8 was the magic fix.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours