Would you be willing to commit 3 app pages to this game?
Yes
 94%  [ 16 ]
No
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

KermMartian wrote:
ACagliano wrote:
Well, I don't use those types of jumps for alot
If you use them at all, you're making your code unmaintainable. All you need to do is insert one opcode while forgetting to update the length of the junk, and you have an instant hard-to-trace bug. Labels are free, use them.

I'll be careful, I promise. But I feel safe using them in the rare instance that I do.

KermMartian wrote:

ACagliano wrote:
And yeah I keep forgetting about the size word. And, yeah, I noticed that in alot. Yet I don't understand why its needed?
Every program starts with a 2-byte size word, then its contents. Without that, there would be no way to tell how big a program is.

Yeah, this statement was a bit confusing, but it was actually a reference to 2 statements of yours. I said "I keep forgetting about the size word" to your reminder to put inc de \ inc de in there. I said the rest to your reminder to put "xor a" before the "ld a,b". Why is that needed?

Edit:

Will this work, in the dcs_sdk? I'm interested in the jump and the $ label.

Code:
moveupright:
    ld  a,(Direction)
    cp  0
    jr  z,+$
    ld  a,0
    ld  (Direction),a
    ret
$:
    ld  hl,(PlayerX)
    ld  (PriorPosition),hl
    ld  a,(PlayerY)
    dec a
    ld  (PlayerY),a
    ld  a,(PlayerX)
    inc a
    ld  (PlayerX),a
    jr  TileCheck
Ok...the method I WOULD have used.

Code:

....after moving text into RAM and hl pointing to Text

ld a,3
ld (penCol),a
ld a,2
ld (penRow),a
ld hl, RAM of Text
bcall(_vPutS)

Text:
.db "Hello World"

Since the location changes, you must rewrite this each time.

The way I'm actually doing it.
Text is in RAM, hl points

Code:

ld a,(hl)
ld (penRow),a
inc hl
ld a,(hl)
ld (penCol),a
inc hl
bcall(_vPutS)

Text:
.db 3,2,"Hello World",0

The second routine can be used for all text, and you don't have to change it if the text location changes, b/c the first two bytes of Text itself are the location.
It looks to me like you switched up penrow and pencol there for some reason, but other than that, that's a good implementation. And yes, anonymous labels will work in the DCS SDK / Brass.
What does this error message in Wabbitcode mean? Did it Build successfully? And, if so, where?

Building target "Application" on 4/27/12 at 12:27 PM…
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libgmp.10.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/acagliano/Desktop/WabbitCode.app/Contents/Resources/spasm
Reason: image not found
Build of target "Application" Succeeded, no issues
Without having any XCode/Wabbitcode experience, It sounds like the dynamic library "libgmp", presumably part of GIMP (?), was not found. Apparently it wasn't necessary for this particular build, if you trust the "Build...Succeeded" text.
No. The error message means you need to have libgmp installed (in that location). Probably an oversight on the part of the developer (Will, right?), since you usually want to have those things as part of the application package. Once you're sure you have libgmp, and know where it is (you could check to see if he included it by right clicking on the application and selecting "View Package Contents" from the context menu); you can change where the OS's application loader looks for it by changing the linking information in the application binary using some of Apple's developer tools.

[edit]

@Kerm: No, it's the GNU MP math library. Arbitrary precision numbers and stuff like that.
I have succeeded in eliminating that message. So now, I just get...

Building target "Application" on 4/27/12 at 1:37 PM…

Yet, there is no file in the Build Products directory.
ACagliano wrote:
I have succeeded in eliminating that message. So now, I just get...

Building target "Application" on 4/27/12 at 1:37 PM…

Yet, there is no file in the Build Products directory.

I'd hop over to the RevSoft forum and poke Will about it.
Guys, I'm planning on redoing the zelda maps to make them better, using ClrHome's pixelscape (but pixelscape doesnt support greyscale Sad ). Can someone shoot me a tileset (just names of tiles, I'll make the images myself).

Edit: are there any online or software (for mac) tileset/map editors that support greyscale?
Bump...!!

Does anyone know of any 2D Tilemapping Software either for the Mac or online that supports greyscale.[/b]
Wouldn't SourceCoder work ? Iirc, you can import pngs and convert them into hex or binary. I do that with my Axe programs (which need hex) so I guess that ASM format is supported too Smile
That isn't a tilemapping program. I don't know of any for a mac.
ACagliano wrote:
Bump...!!

Does anyone know of any 2D Tilemapping Software either for the Mac or online that supports greyscale.[/b]
Is it too hard to just write out the numbers by hand once you use SourceCoder to convert your spritesheet? Or if that's too confusing, at least lay it out in some spreadsheet software to keep everything in neat columns?
Well, the thing is, Kerm, I see the ClrHome utility, Pixelscape, which can build sprites on one tab, then builds maps on the other and can export as z80, and suddenly all other software seems insufficient. lol
ACagliano wrote:
Well, the thing is, Kerm, I see the ClrHome utility, Pixelscape, which can build sprites on one tab, then builds maps on the other and can export as z80, and suddenly all other software seems insufficient. 0x5
So why not just use that utility, then? Or is this stealth advertising? Laughing
Lol. No. I wanted you to see that it doesnt support greyscale. Which makes me really sad Sad
ACagliano wrote:
0x5. No. I wanted you to see that it doesnt support greyscale. Which makes me really sad Sad
Heh, I know, I was pulling your leg. In that case, what's stopping you from getting the original author to make it support grayscale?
Could you draw out your tilemap in black & white, and then copy the tilemap data to your program, and redo the sprites so they're greyscale? So, design in b/w, and display on-calculator in greyscale.
@player: I could, and if I can't find software that does it that will likely be my recourse. The issue is, though, doing it that way, I won't actually know what they look like in greyscale until they are put on calc.

@Kerm: The author is Deep Thought, and I have talked to him about it. He plans on rewriting the app at some point and in so doing, implementing greyscale, but its not on the docket for being done immediately.
UPDATE:

I seem to be at a standstill with the AI for this game. Can't find AI programmers. Anyone willing, please post. Simple random movement will suffice, transitioning to simple pathfinding when player moves close to enemy.

Also, need help implementing a smooth-scrolling graphics engine. Anyone willing to either code or provide conceptual help/psuedo-code please post as well.

Finally, sprites. Deep Thought indicates that he plans on implementing greyscale in Pixelscape as soon as he works out a data scheme with the designer of tileIt. Once that is done, I'll get the sprites drawn.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours