This is where I will put things that are too short for their own topic. I will start it by mentioning that I just got a Dell Axim x5 with Microsoft Windows Pocket PC 2002. Is there any good programming for it? What about for Windows CE 1.0 MIPS devices?
Oh man, I remember buying an HP iPaq from a friend in HS for $50 and being so happy I could use WiFi and Pocket IE. Also, pocket AoE2 was unspeakably awesome and kept me entertained for months.
I still have an iPaq with a replaced LCD (fun times) that runs WinMo 2003 SE, but it had too little ram to run opera and flash Sad

You can program for it using Embeded C/C++ or whatever. Its is freely available from Miscro$oft. You can also use a gcc-based build environment (cegcc?), <personalrant>but I had little success with it and my interests turned to z80dk, which in turn started GlassOS with SDCC</personalrant>
I recall being able to get a fair bit of note-taking done on the go using a combination of Pocket Word and Pocket IE, but beyond that and the aforementioned gaming, I don't know of a lot of things I would find to do with a Pocket PC.
Eh the only thing any WinMo device older than the 6.1 and 6.5 era is better off having Angstrom Linux or similar thrown on it and then doing devel from there. If its newer find a custom rom as those tend be to more snappy and useful. the xda-developers forum archive should have what you would want to find there.

That said, what model iPaq did you have Kerm? I have 2 old h2200's that I keep meaning to do something with and then get stuck when I realize Lirc was out of tree crap and my hopes of a linux based universal remote get dashed. Sad
Based on the photos on Wikipedia, I think I have something like the iPaq h2210, or something in that series. It definitely had that kind of nub as well as built-in Bluetooth but no WiFi. I remember going through pain finding CompactFlash WiFi adapters for it.
Okay, I'll look into Linux. What is "devel"?
CalebHansberry wrote:
Okay, I'll look into Linux. What is "devel"?

devel=development
I was unable to dowload Linux because the file size was too large for my 3G internet.

I am working on a QBasic version of 2D Minecraft! It is very cool, for me.

It is going pretty well. It is only creative mode, mostly because I do not know how to manage crafting and the inventory. The world is currently the size of the screen, but hopefully that will change soon.

I need ideas on how to optimize, because this is nearly my first time programming in QBasic!

Also, I recently got a vintage Zeos laptop for $30! It is what I am programming on.
Oh man. I just deleted the file accidentally! Bummer. I have a much older version to work off of, but still. Rats.
CalebHansberry wrote:
Oh man. I just deleted the file accidentally! Bummer. I have a much older version to work off of, but still. Rats.
Sorry to hear it. Sad Thus the importance of backing up frequently and backing up well. Save your backups to multiple locations, on multiple media.
I am also a woodworker!

This nice creeper is made by me and of high-quality wood!
It is also signed by my company, Skylites:

I found a REALLY cool and better yet, geeky, program for my Pocket PC 2002!
It is Pocket DOS, a program that gives your PDA IBM-PC-grade and 80186 processor functionality! It is said that it can run Windows 3.1, Dosshell, and many other old programs, but I have only succeeded in running QBasic and very basic programs. Still, it is REALLY cool!
Here is a link.
I am glad! I have my program back! What happened was, I made it, it was nice, so I decided to give a copy to my friend Andrew Fredric. But first, I needed to optimize it enough for him to manage. So I did a whole bunch of things to it and gave it to him on 3.5 in. floppy. After I deleted mine, he had the only copy in the world! But I succeeded in getting it back, so now I have it! I backed it up to 3 different locations.

I have spiffed up the menus now.
That's excellent to hear, and I'm glad that you learned your lesson about backups. I hope that you take the lesson to heart and back up your important calculator and computer files more frequently.
I sure do want a Casio Prizm or TI-84 Plus Silver Edition!

Should I offer MineCrft for download?
I can boot up dos 5 and try it in qbasic Smile
CalebHansberry wrote:
I sure do want a Casio Prizm or TI-84 Plus Silver Edition!

Should I offer MineCrft for download?
Of course you should! No reason to keep your hard work on your own hard drive where it's impossible for other people to get to it.
AHelper wrote:
I can boot up dos 5 and try it in qbasic Smile

Hopefully you have little enough RAM! Smile
How's a few hundred meg? (P4 512mb running in legacy mode works great)
Btw, you could also try sticking it at the QBasic Station, although the site is mostly dead.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours