Inspired by another game for Prizm, I decided to make a platforming game shell with jumping and falling and dying if you fall into a pit.

Being the stubborn girl I am, I am, yet again, using my own method for collision detection.

Jumping needs to be added, but falling works perfectly fine.
Sounds exciting! How many blocks can you fall without dying? Do some break away? I'm assuming certain tiles are spikes and kill you upon landing on them?

It'd be neat to incorporate a way to walk through spikes. If there are spikes on ground, your speed slows and you can't run/sprint. But if you fall on them, you either loose considerable health or die depending on the height of the fall when compared to normal tiles.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Sounds exciting! How many blocks can you fall without dying? Do some break away? I'm assuming certain tiles are spikes and kill you upon landing on them?

It'd be neat to incorporate a way to walk through spikes. If there are spikes on ground, your speed slows and you can't run/sprint. But if you fall on them, you either loose considerable health or die depending on the height of the fall when compared to normal tiles.

WHOA THERE BOY

I need to add jumping first..
Neutral
Aren't you a little old for her, comicIDIOT?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Neutral
/me does a find-replace to turn comic's original post into all future tense.

Can you tell us a bit more about this collision-detection method that you're imagining (or already built?), Sarah? I'm intrigued.
KermMartian wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
Neutral
/me does a find-replace to turn comic's original post into all future tense.

Can you tell us a bit more about this collision-detection method that you're imagining (or already built?), Sarah? I'm intrigued.

The one in my RPG adapted for this use. That's why I said I'm stubborn Razz
Yeah, but I'm not sure how it works. Does it use matrix-based detection, pixel-checking detection, something else?
KermMartian wrote:
Yeah, but I'm not sure how it works. Does it use matrix-based detection, pixel-checking detection, something else?

IIRC, it was based on detecting characters in a String format map, so I would assume this would be the same, Sarah?
Ashbad wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

IIRC, it was based on detecting characters in a String format map, so I would assume this would be the same, Sarah?

I use a list-based system, where each space on a map is a value on a list of 147 variables. I get the values of X-1, Y-1, X+1, Y+1, and get the value of the variable List 1[Y*21-(21-X)]

It's alot simpler than it sounds.
Added jumping, have some bugs, but works.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours