Hmm. I remember reading that, to eliminate one variable, assume a=1, then solve for the others. Once you do that, you can multiply by the gcd to get the coefficients. Is that right?

Edit: Another question. What happens if you attempt to HIDE the program that you are currently executing? If you can without issue, how would you do so? Would you need to change its name in the VAT?
I would strongly recommend not doing that; almost every shell, including Doors CS, would probably get very confused. Also, by the Reduced Row-Echelon method, you don't need to eliminate equations if you have too many; conversely, I don't see how your suggested solution would yield anything sane.
KermMartian wrote:
I would strongly recommend not doing that; almost every shell, including Doors CS, would probably get very confused. Also, by the Reduced Row-Echelon method, you don't need to eliminate equations if you have too many; conversely, I don't see how your suggested solution would yield anything sane.

In my solution, my goal is to add one equation (a=1), not eliminate one. So that the number of equations=the number of variables.
Yeah, but you can't assume that a=1, and the values of all the other variables change if you assume instead that a=2 or a=3.
Yes, I know the values of the other variables change if you assume a to be other than 1, but don't they all change in a manner proportional to the change in a? According to the algorithm I read about, unless I misunderstood it, assuming a=1 allows you to solve the system, but may render non-integers for the other variables. Then, you can find the lowest number that makes all variables integers and multiply all the variables by it. Wouldn't that compensate for assuming a=1?

If not, is there another algorithm that can be used for balancing an equation?
Well, a chemical equation is a special case wherein all variables must be integers, which I had forgotten until you pointed it out. More specifically, I forgot that that was the application you were targetting, in which case you can indeed make that assumption.
Would the following, in Op1, correctly represent the variable [A]?

Code:

MatrixAPtr:
    .db MatObj,tVarMat,tMatA,0,0,0,0,0,0
It would indeed correctly represent matrix variable [A]/.
Wonderful. Now, ChkFindSyming that should return a pointer to the data in the matrix, correct? Now, I'm sorry if I'm missing it and its really obvious, but can I have a link to some documentation that describes the format of a matrix in memory? Thanks.

Edit: Also, is there a way to write a program (well, subroutine) in TI-Basic, then see what asm tokens it is made out of? For instance, here's what I want to write in TI-Basic, then use the bcall(_ParseInput) on.

Code:

rref([A])
dim([A])
Matr->List( [A] , Ans(2) , L1 )
lcd( L1 ) -> A
A*L1 -> L1
Return
bump
Nope, you need to use FindSym, not ChkFindSym. FindSym is only for programs, groups, and appvars.
KermMartian wrote:
Nope, you need to use FindSym, not ChkFindSym. FindSym is only for programs, groups, and appvars.

You mean ChkFindSym is only for them?

What about the TI-Basic question? Is there a TI-Basic tokens list somewhere?
Why not create that program on your calculator, and look at its data in Calcsys? I think ti83plus.inc has a list of tokens, but I'm not sure. There's also a list on TI|BD.
Hmm. Didn't think of that *smacks self with shovel
ACagliano wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

You mean ChkFindSym is only for them?
Sorry, I'm in bed with the flu(ish); I derped. That is indeed what I meant.
Oh, thats not fun. Coincidentally, I'm under the weather myself.

Edit: Now I need to figure out how to do an input routine, specially designed for inputting a chemical equation. Do you recommend Direct Input, getCSC, or getKey for this?
Of course, I'd always recommend a single-line text input box from Doors CS, with the only caveat that you'd have to wait for the user to submit the field before rejecting it for being malformed. Then again, it would be relatively challenging to detect a malformed equation on-the-fly anyway.
I think I like the DCS features for this, allowing me a dynamic editor, rather than a single line editor. In this way, I can have a GUI window that:

prompts for symbol
prompts for subscript
button for 'add element'
button for finish

*then I could have a routine check the input field against the Elements Lookup Table if you press one of the buttons, and render the word "Invalid" next to the input field if there is no match. That sound like a plan?
Sounds like a good plan to me! Let me know if I can do anything to help this along as far as Doors CS tutoring. Smile
Does the bcall PutS wrap text? Do any of them?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours