Hello I'm new to Cemetech. I am a BASIC programmer but then I found Axe. While the main syntax is the same there are some changes. i have seen many impressive projects with well-drawn sprites. Unfortunately, sprite making is different in Axe than in BASIC. Can anyone point out some good spriting techniques? Such as how to edit, grayscale, tile mapping, and animation? Thanks

Enigma
Welcome to Cemetech, Enigma! I believe that Axe employs three-level or four-level grayscale sprites, which require composing each sprite in two layers. However, I'll ask some of our Axe experts to provide more specific details. My main motive here is to ask you to Introduce Yourself in that topic and to ask if you noticed the SAX chat widget at the left side of the page. Smile
Most, if not all of your questions, have been asked and answered here, so I suggest reading that and expressing any additional questions you have here, or there Smile
For spriting I would recommend you use xLib, it is probably one of the best programs for spiriting and I think it integrates with Axe (Tell me if I am wrong here) It has the basics of spriting, I'm not sure about greyscale, however it is a good place to start

here is a beginning tutorial
http://tifreakware.net/tutorials/83p/b/xlib/beginxlib.htm
qazz42 wrote:
For spriting I would recommend you use xLib, it is probably one of the best programs for spiriting and I think it integrates with Axe (Tell me if I am wrong here) It has the basics of spriting, I'm not sure about greyscale, however it is a good place to start

Axe most definitely cannot interface with xLib/Celtic/Omnicalc/etc. efficiently (if really at all), and even if it could, it would be counterproductive (going through some sort of hook, pass tokens as parameters for the routines, instead of just calling a self-contained graphical routine), so don't go through that strife.
What Ashbad said. Smile It would actually be more efficient to try to call into Doors CS routines than to try to integrate Hybrid BASIC calls. Smile
Ashbad wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

Axe most definitely cannot interface with xLib/Celtic/Omnicalc/etc. efficiently (if really at all), and even if it could, it would be counterproductive (going through some sort of hook, pass tokens as parameters for the routines, instead of just calling a self-contained graphical routine), so don't go through that strife.

Ah, never mind then. I would not know this as I have never really gotten into programming Axe

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours