Yes, the famous iPod vs. every other MP3 player on the market is here. Comments?
I own an iPod.

They are good reliable players, and Apple stands behind them, but if you own a Windows machine and have problems, they like to blame Windows (but then again, who doesn't. It can't play WMA files like many others, but they can be convereted if they are not secured The iTrip FM transmitter is a nice extra to have, listen to it on the car radio, and no problems using them in the middle of Detroit and South Side of Chicago. The earbuds are not too bad in quality, in my opinion one of the best ear buds on the market. The one thing with the new videos is the lack of a remote post like on the 3rd and 4th gen and the color/photo. The dock connecter is secure and will not come out unless you want it. There is no FM reciever and I would love to see it as an attachemnt for it (maybe an input on the dock connector) (hint hint Apple). THe calander and games are nice features, but could live without them. I like the clock, handy to have when the watch isn't working. All in all, fairly good.
rivereye wrote:
The earbuds are not too bad in quality, in my opinion one of the best ear buds on the market.

No no no no! iPod buds are crap! (Though I'll admit they're decent for coming free with the player.) Get yourself a pair of earbuds with REAL fidelity (even though Apple doesn't seem to care a whole lot about fidelity in the first place...). Whenever I see someone with iPod earbuds, I tend to think they don't care so much about how their music sounds as they do the cultural status of owning an iPod. They have absolutely no bass and they have generally shoddy sound quality. I got myself a pair of these: >>>Clicky here.<<< and I love them so much.
for someone like me who listens to country, bass isn't too important. I think I have tried thos before and I didn't like tham too much. To each his own
ipods suck simply because 1) they are waaay to a expensive 2) waaaay to restrictive 3) don't do anything special

its just an MP3 player, one that happens to have good sound, and about nothing else. Creative and Rio both have players of similar callibur, only with more features and a cheaper price tag
What a surprise, Kllrnohj is opposed to mainstream technology. Rolling Eyes

I think the price is decent given the high quality of the product - though I didn't buy mine (birthday present), so perhaps I'm not at liberty to say so Very Happy .They are only restrictive of purchased downloaded music, which has a number of disadvantages anyway. And it is surely better than that crappy Windows "plays for sure" standard. True, they don't do anything special, but what they do do, they do well. They have a superb interface that is much easier to use than the other players out there, and they are (usually) reliable in playing music back with high fidelity (if anyone bothered to get earphones that could replicate it anyway Laughing ).
iPods ability to play purchased music: Only from iTunes
MSW's Play For Sure: EVERY. SINGLE. MUSIC. STORE. (including iTunes, since those can be downloading without DRM via a hack - which can then be converted)

and you say ipod's better than play for sure????

Quote:
purchased downloaded music, which has a number of disadvantages anyway.

I've bought from Napster, its very good quality, plays on my comp and MP3 player just fine, and i can burn it to a CD - all legally, so how is there a disadvantage?

Quote:
What a surprise, Kllrnohj is opposed to mainstream technology.

How so? because I supported a BETTER and CHEAPER product? How is the iPod now "mainstream technology"? Creative and Rio BOTH have more technologically impressive products, and are far more advanced...

Quote:
I think the price is decent given the high quality of the product

I think the quality of a product should not be judged soley by its looks and its brand name - which are basically the only things seperating the iPod from the hundreds of other players

Quote:
They have a superb interface that is much easier to use than the other players out there

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I've used several MP3 players with very, very nice (and easy to use) interfaces. The MuVu1/2 and Zen's by creative are very easy to use
Kllrnohj wrote:
iPods ability to play purchased music: Only from iTunes
MSW's Play For Sure: EVERY. SINGLE. MUSIC. STORE. (including iTunes, since those can be downloading without DRM via a <font color=red>censored</font> - which can then be converted)

and you say ipod's better than play for sure????

Quote:
purchased downloaded music, which has a number of disadvantages anyway.

I've bought from Napster, its very good quality, plays on my comp and MP3 player just fine, and I can burn it to a CD - all legally, so how is there a disadvantage?

Hrm, maybe things have changed since I last looked into it. At any rate, I don't purchase music online, so I guess that aspect doesn't matter to me as much.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:
What a surprise, Kllrnohj is opposed to mainstream technology.

How so? because I supported a BETTER and CHEAPER product? How is the iPod now "mainstream technology"? Creative and Rio BOTH have more technologically impressive products, and are far more advanced...

It was a joke, lighten up. Razz

Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:
I think the price is decent given the high quality of the product

I think the quality of a product should not be judged soley by its looks and its brand name - which are basically the only things seperating the iPod from the hundreds of other players

Not true! I'm judging it on actual quality (I've owned one for over a year, after all). For starters,the iPod is heavy (or at least sufficiently hefty for its size), which is usually indicative of high quality. It's durable and everything works. Definitely quality in my opinion.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:
They have a superb interface that is much easier to use than the other players out there

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I've used several MP3 players with very, very nice (and easy to use) interfaces. The MuVu1/2 and Zen's by creative are very easy to use

I have also used a number of other players, and I find the iPod MUCH easier to use. The other players either are poor attempts to replicate the iPod's interface or otherwise bad designs, IMHO. (Of course I'm probably biased as the owner of an iPod. Smile )
Pardon me, I'm getting a fire extinguisher in preparation for a flamewar... *shuffles around* *metallic clink* Ah, there we go. Carry on, boys.
time for my once a a year post
I've had an ipod for like 2 years now. I'm not a huge apple guy, but if apple has one thing down in everything they do its the GUI. Apple gui's tend to always kick a, and nothing is different with the ipod. Its simple, straight forward text and a wheel with 5 buttons. All have a simple purpose which is mastered within a day. I'm a music gunky (play 7 instruments and thinking about minoring in it in collage) and the audio quality is superb, built in equaliser (though you can turn it off to save battery) is really nice. As for the headphones i use, i use fender enclosed headphones, but I'm really really hoping to get Bose noise cancellation headphones, but I might settle for sAudio Technica ATHM40f *WARNING, THESE ARE 1/4" HEADPONES* (these are like butter, I've used them for my high school play (sound tech) and man its amazing). The buds were ok, but (as Kerm said) the bass is missing.

In conclusion, I'd never listen to blink-182 on anything else
That was Jon, but w/e Smile
Welcome back Mike!!
mike wrote:
time for my once a a year post
I've had an ipod for like 2 years now. I'm not a huge apple guy, but if apple has one thing down in everything they do its the GUI. Apple gui's tend to always kick <font color=red>censored</font>, and nothing is different with the ipod. Its simple, straight forward text and a wheel with 5 buttons. All have a simple purpose which is mastered within a day. I'm a music gunky (play 7 instruments and thinking about minoring in it in collage) and the audio quality is superb, built in equaliser (though you can turn it off to save battery) is really nice. As for the headphones I use, I use fender enclosed headphones, but I'm really really hoping to get Bose noise cancellation headphones, but I might settle for sAudio Technica ATHM40f *WARNING, THESE ARE 1/4" HEADPONES* (these are like butter, I've used them for my high school play (sound tech) and man its amazing). The buds were ok, but (as Kerm said) the bass is missing.

In conclusion, I'd never listen to blink-182 on anything else

I like 1/4" jacks...so much more substantial.
What kind of calc user uses an iPod? I'm trying to get my calc to play music.
how about this one, a usb8x briver that play music off an iPod out to the 2.5mm jack. Of course, why would we want to do that
*cough* mobileTunes *cough*
Kuro wrote:
What kind of calc user uses an iPod? I'm trying to get my calc to play music.

Me. Cool
Gar. Started typing with capslock on and not looking at the screen. :/
Heheh, I love music, but I usually listen to streaming radio
myg0t radio stream is actual quite decent.
KermMartian wrote:
*cough* mobileTunes *cough*

yes, but does it read data off an iPod, I don't think it even works on calcs with a usb link
You guys can't be serious?! Confused

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours