This will be released as an APP. Who would be willing to beta test?
Yes
 100%  [ 5 ]
No
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

I have a few questions about what the preferences for my Zelda game are:

1. Would tiled motion (a player or enemy moves one tile at a time) or smooth motion (a player or enemy moves one pixel at a time) be preferred? Please note, if I go with the smooth system, I will need some conceptual advice on how to work collision detect with a tiled map system.

2. Should one or more classes of enemies have ranged attacks (like the bow)? I added a bow to your equipment, but I do not know how to code a ranged attack for either player or AI while the game is going. Help?

3. Should enemy classes be able to launch a ranged magical attack with their element? I know this is not really classic Zelda, but it could make gameplay harder. And, that is basically what the ice/fire keese do.

4. Should the shield be auto-use or press-a-key to use?

Then, please vote above.
Why does it need to be an App, rather than a program run by a nice shell like Doors CS? Wink Is it going to be that huge? Let's see:

1) Smooth is better, but if it's going to be slow and awkward, go with tiled.
2) Yes. Ranged attacks are win.
3) Probably not, but I've never played Zelda.
4) Press-a-key.
Ok. And, are there any resources on TI-group file structure. I'm thinking of using a group to hold a bunch of appvars with map data, then extracting the appvars to RAM when the map is in use. Then, I would copy the data back into the group only if the map has changed.
1. Tiled.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Auto-Use in close combat, press-a-key if ranged attack

If you are releasing it as an app, don't use separate appvars. Use those for special add-on quests. Auto-create an appvar the first time to store save-data in.

I'm pretty interested in this as all of the zelda games I have seen have been based off the aarpgs system, which makes for games with very simple plots and almost no puzzles. They suck.
seana11 wrote:
1. Tiled.
2. Yes
3. Yes

If you are releasing it as an app, don't use separate appvars. Use those for special add-on quests. Auto-create an appvar the first time to store save-data in.

I'm pretty interested in this as all of the zelda games I have seen have been based off the aarpgs system, which makes for games with very simple plots and almost no puzzles. They suck.

There will be no puzzles in this, but there are three item-rendering mini-quests. I have made every attempt to simulate the gameplay, however. You can cast the same spells you can in Zelda, and use many of the same items in the same way.

The issue with creating one appvar is this...the file will be too huge to even create. I will need to create and fill the appvar in RAM, before I can archive it, but i will not have enough RAM to fill it. Do I have any other options?
ACagliano wrote:
seana11 wrote:
1. Tiled.
2. Yes
3. Yes

There will be no puzzles in this, but there are three item-rendering mini-quests. I have made every attempt to simulate the gameplay, however. You can cast the same spells you can in Zelda, and use many of the same items in the same way.

The issue with creating one appvar is this...the file will be too huge to even create. I will need to create and fill the appvar in RAM, before I can archive it, but i will not have enough RAM to fill it. Do I have any other options?

Waait, that much savedata?
The save file is not the issue. It's all the maps that are the issue.
ACagliano wrote:
The save file is not the issue. It's all the maps that are the issue.

As I said: the default quest gets stuck in the app. Additional quests are stuck in appvars. Savedata is stuck in an appvar. I know that you can stick the default quest in the app.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours