For a long while now, I've been pussyfooting around the subject of fixing ZXCalibur, my very first desktop (currently succeeded by Gehirn).

I knew the problem was most likely a motherboard issue but I was just too wary of buying a new one in case, for some reason, I was wrong.

At this point, though, I've pretty much decided "to hell with it!" and am going to buy almost an entirely new computer. Almost, because I'll most likely be reusing the same PSU (PC Power & Cooling 610 Watt) and GFX card (EVGA GeForce GTX-260). I may or may not be reusing the same case (an Antec Sonata Elite).

Anyway, on to the meat and potatoes of the thread, here's what I'm thinking of buying. Please berate me for my stupid choices and kindly point me in the right direction Smile

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz Quad Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

MoBo: Intel BOXDH67CLB3 LGA 1155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121508

Potential New Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129097

On EFNet #Cemetech, there was a brief discussion on the difference between the i5-2500 and i5-2500K http://i.imgur.com/Tj0Ka.jpg. I'm still not exactly sure what the difference is. That is, I don't understand it... `-`

Also, the reason I'm considering a new case is mainly because I somehow broke part of the current one and the current mobo couldn't align quite properly with the rear port openings anyway.

Also, obligatorily, since I'm basically rebuilding the rig, I figure I ought rechristen it too. Current name ideas for the rig are ZXCalibur mkII EXCELLION and ZXCalibur mkII BAD WOLF which will both be shortened to Excellion and Bad Wolf respectively. Razz

So, yeah, please chew me out Very Happy
Bad Wolf! I'll wait for Kllrnohj to come and mock your choice of parts and suggest better alternatives before I weigh in with my own opinions.
The i5-2500K will overclock better but I am sure there are other differences of which I am not quite sure.

As for the mobo I'm not really a fan of it, though the price isn't bad it it seems to be a get what you pay for situation, its a cheap mobo so you don't get much.
TheStorm wrote:
The i5-2500K will overclock better but I am sure there are other differences of which I am not quite sure.

If I'm remembering this correctly, the -K variants of current Intel processors have unlocked multipliers. Without the unlocked variant, you'll be hard-pressed to get any overclock out of it due to Sandy Bridge's tightly integrated clocks.

TheStorm wrote:
As for the mobo I'm not really a fan of it, though the price isn't bad it it seems to be a get what you pay for situation, its a cheap mobo so you don't get much.

It's an Intel board so it should at least be good quality. Seems a bit bare-bones to me- I might prefer something like MSI's P67A-G43, which has a few more bells and whistles (and a legacy keyboard connector!). It's mostly a personal preference, though.
Tari wrote:
TheStorm wrote:

If I'm remembering this correctly, the -K variants of current Intel processors have unlocked multipliers. Without the unlocked variant, you'll be hard-pressed to get any overclock out of it due to Sandy Bridge's tightly integrated clocks.

TheStorm wrote:

It's an Intel board so it should at least be good quality. Seems a bit bare-bones to me- I might prefer something like MSI's P67A-G43, which has a few more bells and whistles (and a legacy keyboard connector!). It's mostly a personal preference, though.

I guess I'll get the non-K variant then, if the only difference is unlocked multipliers. Only saves me... 10... 20 bucks? But that's still 10... 20 bucks, heh.

In terms of the mobo, I don't think it's particularly necessary to have a PS/2 / legacy port and the HDMI port on the Intel board is enticing (although none of my monitors actually have HDMI output, who knows if and when it might come in handy?). Furthermore, some of the bells and whistles, as far as I can discern them, don't seem particularly applicable to me.

Hmmmm.....
TsukasaZX wrote:
I guess I'll get the non-K variant then, if the only difference is unlocked multipliers. Only saves me... 10... 20 bucks? But that's still 10... 20 bucks, heh.

*DEFINITELY* get the -K variant. They are the only ones you can overclock, and trust me - you want to overclock.

Quote:
In terms of the mobo, I don't think it's particularly necessary to have a PS/2 / legacy port and the HDMI port on the Intel board is enticing (although none of my monitors actually have HDMI output, who knows if and when it might come in handy?). Furthermore, some of the bells and whistles, as far as I can discern them, don't seem particularly applicable to me.

Hmmmm.....

I recommend the Asus P8P67 for the motherboard. Intel's motherboards tend to be rather bland and not particularly good. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131705&cm_re=P8P67-_-13-131-705-_-Product

Whether or not the board has HDMI or not is irrelevant - you are using your own video card, so the video output on the mobo won't work anyway.
Kllrnohj wrote:
TsukasaZX wrote:

*DEFINITELY* get the -K variant. They are the only ones you can overclock, and trust me - you want to overclock.

Quote:

Hmmmm.....

I recommend the Asus P8P67 for the motherboard. Intel's motherboards tend to be rather bland and not particularly good. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131705&cm_re=P8P67-_-13-131-705-_-Product

Whether or not the board has HDMI or not is irrelevant - you are using your own video card, so the video output on the mobo won't work anyway.

I've never been a fan of overclocking and never have, but maybe I'll give it a shot. I already took a step in that direction by buying some Arctic Silver today.

And DERP, I completely forgot about that so yeah. HDMI port is irrelevant. The ASUS mobo looks pretty nice.
Okay, so I'm thinking of swapping cases and instead buying this one:

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129100

The previous one had a review saying that it wasn't a good buy if you were planning on an ASUS P67 mobo because the way the case was designed made it hard to fit anything into the SATA ports on the mobo without pulling out drive bays.

Yes, I know it's heavy but I have Super Saiyan level strength (apparently) and a dolly so it's a moot point Razz
TsukasaZX wrote:
Okay, so I'm thinking of swapping cases and instead buying this one:

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129100

The previous one had a review saying that it wasn't a good buy if you were planning on an ASUS P67 mobo because the way the case was designed made it hard to fit anything into the SATA ports on the mobo without pulling out drive bays.

Yes, I know it's heavy but I have Super Saiyan level strength (apparently) and a dolly so it's a moot point Razz

You might also want to check out the Cooler Master HAF X and the Corsair 650D. I've also heard *really* good things about the cooling in the Silverstone Raven RV02, and it looks like they have a newer, slightly cheaper RV03 out now.

EDIT: And overclocking is totally worth it - but Arctic Silver is not. Whatever TIM comes with a HSF is usually good enough. You'll probably want to pick up a new HSF, the stock cooler is usually barely adequate.
The HAF X is a bit pricier but looks good. I guess I might have to flip a coin between it and the Twelve Hundred V3.

The 650D, according to reviews, seems to have some cable routing problems with USB ports? Or something?

Pretty much I'm just going on personal preference for the case.

Honestly, I'm probably not overclocking whatsoever. And the arctic silver is probably going to be put towards fixing up Gehirn, whenever I buy a new HSF for it.
TsukasaZX wrote:
The HAF X is a bit pricier but looks good. I guess I might have to flip a coin between it and the Twelve Hundred V3.

The 650D, according to reviews, seems to have some cable routing problems with USB ports? Or something?

I just watched a review of the Raven RV03 - looks like a *VERY* nice case. I kind of want one now (I have a HAF 932 atm).

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/44516-silverstone-raven-rv03-case-video-review.html

Quote:
Honestly, I'm probably not overclocking whatsoever. And the arctic silver is probably going to be put towards fixing up Gehirn, whenever I buy a new HSF for it.

You only say that because you haven't tried it.
Kllrnohj wrote:
TsukasaZX wrote:

I just watched a review of the Raven RV03 - looks like a *VERY* nice case. I kind of want one now (I have a HAF 932 atm).

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/44516-silverstone-raven-rv03-case-video-review.html

*whistle* Dang, that is a nice case. Not sure what I want anymore.... Sad

Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:

You only say that because you haven't tried it.

I don't intend to try it. Technically, I could probably live with a megahertz Pentium single core processor. I only want a fancy 3.3 Ghz quad core with all the hooblah because I'm a number-whore poser.

Furthermore, given my track record with computers, I am definitely refraining from anything excess that could exacerbate a part failure.
HSFs. Anything better than stock intel HSFs that come with the CPU?

Should I use whatever thermal paste comes with the HSF or buy something better?
The thermal paste that it ships with is probably fine, as long as it's silver-based instead of ceramic or something.
Quote:
I only want a fancy 3.3 Ghz quad core with all the hooblah because I'm a number-whore poser.
Aren't we all?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours