0%  [ 0 ]
Arch Linux
 10%  [ 1 ]
Fedora
 30%  [ 3 ]
Other - put in reply
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

I am thinking about trying a new flavor of linux. Ubuntu is nice but things in the latest updates are just not to my liking. I'll put some choices in a poll to see what you guys think I should try. And maybe in a reply explain what the good points are about the OS.
Try Fedora, Debian, or openSUSE. Debian is a lot like Ubuntu in the way it installs packages, and Fedora and openSUSE are RPM based systems.
I vote Linux Mint. There's not much of a dramatic shift, and it's much more SANE than Ubuntu. The Mint devs actually care about stability and usability than its distant cousin Ubuntu... Razz
Got pissed with Ubuntu? You'll love Mint, that's a choice I've done before and so did alberthrocks and lots of other people around the world.

Mint is Ubuntu, but with no bugs and crazy stuff like Unity.
Well, Fedora at least a tad more secure than Ubuntu... I had issues with getting Ubuntu's firewall working (at all) and it doesn't have other protection (SELinux - A pain sometimes, but worth it). Someone I know had their network intruded through Ubuntu. (Trying not to bash, but just recalling my years with Ubuntu vs. Fedora)

I noticed that the Fedora repos add in more current things (ParkerR, I know what you mean by having Fedora's DE many versions ahead than Ubuntu's repos)... But it's more-or-less up to the user...
Windows Vista.
I voted debian, I use it on all my home server and my VPS. If you know your way around ubuntu you'll be familiar with Debian just fine. Otherwise, I've heard some good things about fedora as well.

Edit:
Ashbad wrote:
Windows Vista.

Dont make me hit you ashbad, Smile
Ashbad wrote:
Windows Vista.

Quote:
What linux distro should I use next?
Not to mention Fedora's about to release F15, so you won't have to bother with a major upgrade for a while.
Also, another thing to complain about is what DE you want... KDE/Gnome2.6/Gnome3/LXDE/XFCE/Enlightnment/etc..
ScoutDavid wrote:
Ashbad wrote:
Windows Vista.

Quote:

why linux when you can have vista?
I hope you are kidding, Ashbad. Razz
Ashbad wrote:
ScoutDavid wrote:
Ashbad wrote:
Windows Vista.

Quote:

why linux when you can have vista?

Vista ranks up there with windows ME/2000 on my worst os ever category. Ill use OSX instead..
2000 was one of the most stable OSes M$ made. Vista and ME were horrid OSes, while XP and 7 have been the better looking ones. Just depends on the system's specs, I'd either run 2k or 7. Vista needs to diaf.

As getting back on topic, not a linux user, so can't really help with that. Why don't you try them all out and see what they are and let us know?
ParkerR wrote:
I am thinking about trying a new flavor of linux. Ubuntu is nice but things in the latest updates are just not to my liking. I'll put some choices in a poll to see what you guys think I should try. And maybe in a reply explain what the good points are about the OS.

What do you want in a linux distro?

AHelper wrote:
Also, another thing to complain about is what DE you want... KDE/Gnome2.6/Gnome3/LXDE/XFCE/Enlightnment/etc..

Gnome 2.6 is great if you want to look like you're running Windows 3.1 Razz
Don't worry, I still use win 3.0/3.1 - That's so far the fastest boot time I have seen, but I don't think that they had a P4 in mind Smile
souvik1997 wrote:
I hope you are kidding, Ashbad. Razz

to tell the truth, I'm not Neutral
AHelper wrote:

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new.
ParkerR: In all honesty, I am also disliking Unity, but as I have never strayed away from Ubuntu, and dislike Mint's UI choices, I have no recommendation, sadly. However, as I have heard of your switch, I would like to know how Debian is going for you. I would like to switch myself.
Remember that Ubuntu != Unity. Ubuntu is a really good operating system overall, and can be configured for what you want. I think you should use either the Ubuntu Server CD or the Ubuntu Alternate Installer to install the core of Ubuntu, then download the software that you want such as a UI, web browser, etc.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours