Hey, guys. I'm in a bit of a situation here. I've had my iTouch stolen at school, and I didn't have MobileMe or any of those tracking apps installed...

I think I might be able to use the fact that the iTouch is connected to the school's wireless network to my advantage in trying to find it or at least trying to figure out when it connects and disconnects from the network. Is there any way AT ALL I could do this externally? I'm not sure how to access the router's admin page, but there's a chance it might not be password-protected since the network itself is already password-protected (but I know the password). Luckily, I have LockInfo which shows e-mails in my inbox and notifications on the Lockscreen itself, so I sent e-mails to my inbox and texts to my device saying it was lost/stolen and providing a number to call in the event that it really was just lost (although I'm sure that's not the case).

It is password-protected, and I believe it will only connect to my school and home network on its own, meaning that I might just be able to stand around the entrance and wait to hear a notification sound when someone walks in. Also, how long do you think it would take an average person to exhaust 6000 4-digit passwords and an iPhone/iTouch?

I just don't wanna be $400 in the red. I need a hacky solution.

----

Is there a way to force an app to publish its location? I know if you tweet, your location is tweeted as well. Now I'm really wishing I used a tracking app.
If you know the MAC Address, get in with your schools IT department.

If they use multiple routers they can track the device to a certain area and the school security (my HS had 2 rent-a-cops) to do the rest of the work.
comicIDIOT wrote:

If they use multiple routers they can track the device to a certain area and the school security (my HS had 2 rent-a-cops) to do the rest of the work.

Thanks, I'm going to try it. I'm pretty sure it has multiple routers since it's a pretty large school longways and the network still seems ubiquitous so the position might be able to just be triangulated hopefully. Is the MAC address persistent or does it change from connection to connection? If it's alway the same, would it be in some kind of log on my home network?
Progbeard wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Thanks, I'm going to try it. I'm pretty sure it has multiple routers since it's a pretty large school longways and the network still seems ubiquitous so the position might be able to just be triangulated hopefully. Is the MAC address persistent or does it change from connection to connection? If it's alway the same, would it be in some kind of log on my home network?

Its always the same unless you spoof it, which you cant do on a itouch, at least not while its not hacked.
The MAC Address stays the same. The LAN IP, however, will likely change. I don't think you'll be able to triangulate it, as the device will be connected to just one Access Point. If your school uses routers to bridge the network, the device will only see one network (but the routers should only display the devices connected to that node in the bridge).

If you log on to your router, it may be under a log if not recent devices (if available). If you're like me and others, you assigned your devices a static, internal IP. I can always go back and check the MAC Address of my static IP'd devices from the router when they aren't connected or not next to them to check on-device.
comicIDIOT wrote:
The MAC Address stays the same. The LAN IP, however, will likely change. I don't think you'll be able to triangulate it, as the device will be connected to just one Access Point. If your school uses routers to bridge the network, the device will only see one network (but the routers should only display the devices connected to that node in the bridge).

If you log on to your router, it may be under a log if not recent devices (if available). If you're like me and others, you assigned your devices a static, internal IP. I can always go back and check the MAC Address of my static IP'd devices from the router when they aren't connected or not next to them to check on-device.

I'm really lost. Think the MAC address can be figured out using the model number if it's always the same? My router logs aren't showing far enough back to the last time I know I was connected to my network (yesterday at around 5:55 AM) and they aren't providing the MAC address anyway. There's only a page that's showing the MAC addresses of currently connected devices. This is really frustrating. The MAC address of my device had to have been recorded somewhere.
If you don't have the MAC address, then you're kinda.. well.. blarghed.

Also, it's not hard to reset the password on an iTough, unfortunately D:

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours