Real or Fake?
Real
 100%  [ 4 ]
Fake
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

I was browsing around a blog I follow, and saw a post (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/raspberry-pi-the-25-usb-sized-ubuntu-pc/) about a $25 computer. I felt an overwhelming urge to click on it. The post took me to a website, http://www.raspberrypi.org/, and had a video from BBC News attached. There is more information at the URL, and I'm sure Google searches have some insight into this, but I'd like to know the opinions of the Cemetechians: Is this going to be possible? I'm mainly wondering about the price. I'm unsure of its expected release date, but I'm unsure about the price of the components. I have no way of knowing if the hardware will cost under $25 total, so that the makers can profit.

Simply put, is the device at http://www.raspberrypi.org/ a realistic device or is it a scam?
I saw that on Engadget, Hackaday, and all the usual places, and I'm inclined to believe that it is indeed $25 of raw components, at quantity. Factor in the cost of fabbing the board, the cost of putting everything together, packaging, shipping... Yeah, I think it will be more like $50-$75 with all that, echoing a lot of comments I read, but I think it's a real thing.
Wow, so would this be a great base on which to build my own portable gadgets(camera, calculator, small robot, etc.)?
DShiznit wrote:
Wow, so would this be a great base on which to build my own portable gadgets(camera, calculator, small robot, etc.)?
Possible, yes, and definitely, respectively. I don't know if the HDMI output is really appropriate for the relatively small LCDs used in a portable, low-power calculator sort of device, and come to think of it, I'd be interested in seeing power figured on this, but it definitely would be a great jumping-off point.
I wonder if I could use this to make my dream of a real life R2-D2 come true...

EDIT- this would be a GREAT way to reuse the internal usb webcam and wireless cards from my decommissioned netbook...
Assuming it is indeed internal, then definitely! I tend to think you'd want something a little bigger and higher-powered for a real R2-D2, and you could probably lower your price point because you don't need to go too far towards compactness. Heck, you could fit a whole desktop inside an R2-D2 chassis.
*bump* This topic has actually not been forgotten. I simply haven't made the time to reply. Sad If you believe it would be sub-$100, how do you think it would fare as the basis for developing a tablet device? I think it would be better than the iPad; at least for the price-to-feature ratio. There would be many issues, however... development of a case and possibly the need for a keyboard/trackpad (?)/networking/extra USB (via hub)/battery and charger/more. Does anybody, however, think that a tablet made from this is even close to being possible? Maybe you could have Bluetooth through USB and then use a Magic Trackpad and some random USB keyboard... That still doesn't solve networking and especially the large issue of battery power, though.
It wouldn't be super-powerful for building an actual device; if I understand correctly, this is more a DIY gadget, but I could be misreading it. I won't deny that I was wondering if it might make a good base for the Ultimate Calculator 4. Smile
I think it is real. I am impressed that it has HDMI out. If it is powerful enough I can just hide it behind my TV. I don't do any 1080p or even 720p. I think it would be great for playing back 700 mb DVD quality movies.
ParkerR wrote:
I think it is real. I am impressed that it has HDMI out. If it is powerful enough I can just hide it behind my TV. I don't do any 1080p or even 720p. I think it would be great for playing back 700 mb DVD quality movies.
I don't think that's really the point of it, and I'd be surprised if it had the raw CPU cycles to simultaneously decode video off of a USB-connected drive while compositing 720p frames at the same time.
KermMartian wrote:
ParkerR wrote:
I don't think that's really the point of it, and I'd be surprised if it had the raw CPU cycles to simultaneously decode video off of a USB-connected drive while compositing 720p frames at the same time.

It does say "1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode" so maybe it will maybe it won't. I understand this wouldn't be the primary way to use it, but I was just thinking of all the stuff that could be done with it. I think just to have something that small yet so powerful would be great for anything imaginable.
I definitely agree that a reusable piece of hardware that would be powerful enough to be applicable to a range of projects would be a great boon to hobbyists, no arguments here. Smile I suppose we'll have to wait for more details from the studio that's designing these.
It's too bad we won't see it since the release date is after the projected end of the world...
DShiznit wrote:
It's too bad we won't see it since the release date is after the projected end of the world...
Rolling Eyes Let's keep it serious, please. Razz
Ok. In seriousness, I was thinking of using this to make my own tablet too. Assuming you could get a small touch screen for under $100, it should be plausible. If I understand correctly, you could even put the Android OS on it, since it's linux-based, and have your own cheap android tablet.
DShiznit wrote:
Ok. In seriousness, I was thinking of using this to make my own tablet too. Assuming you could get a small touch screen for under $100, it should be plausible. If I understand correctly, you could even put the Android OS on it, since it's linux-based, and have your own cheap android tablet.

I think it would work; wasn't Android made for ARM platforms?
Sure, but just as Linux is compilable for x86, ARM, MIPS, etc architectures, I would be far from surprised if Android is similarly portable and perhaps ported already. I think I'd try to use this for a new, cheap, powerful calculator, as I mentioned above.
*bump* So, Raspberry Pi is actually progressing, according to Hackaday, and looks like it might do some of the things it promised, at some sort of $25-$35 price point. The disadvantage is that the board has gotten much bigger, closer to the size of a (big) business card than a thumb drive, but I guess such is life:

http://hackaday.com/2011/08/26/raspberry-pi-might-not-be-vaporware/
OK, my thoughts on this are as follows: AWESOME!!!

Seriously though, this has sooooooo many applications for the real world. Think about it, Tablet? Yup. Cruise Missile? Yup. SpyBot? Yup. Model rocket onboard computer (See this)? Yup. (Previous cost of something like that has been $100$ for a z80 type chip on a I/O board) Neural network? For $2500, Yup. Endless Possiblities? Yup.
seana11 wrote:
OK, my thoughts on this are as follows: AWESOME!!!

Seriously though, this has sooooooo many applications for the real world. Think about it, Tablet? Yup. Cruise Missile? Yup. SpyBot? Yup. Model rocket onboard computer (See this)? Yup. (Previous cost of something like that has been $100$ for a z80 type chip on a I/O board) Neural network? For $2500, Yup. Endless Possiblities? Yup.

Uh, "it" is already used for real world applications like those. This is just a 700mhz ARM11 SoC with 128mb of RAM. Go look at a teardown of a modern smartphone and you'll see plenty of devices with boards about that size that pack *way* more power. The only interesting bit is the cost, which is low, but not by an insane amount since it doesn't really have much. The $25 one doesn't have any network IO whatsoever, for example.

But since it has come up a couple of times, no, this would not make for a good tablet. It is *way* too slow with *way* too little RAM. For those who aren't familiar, ARM11 is the chip that powered things like the original iPhone or the HTC G1. Modern tablets are two full generations newer than that.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours