That exploit to circumvent security protections is an inextricable part of jailbreaking the console. That's what jailbreaking is, running unsigned code. And there's already laws on the books to protect this at least as far as iPhone's go.
DShiznit wrote:
And there's already laws on the books to protect this at least as far as iPhone's go.
And other mobile devices, exactly. But the jailbreaking for the iPhone allows unsigned code to run, where as GeoHot published the sign code for the PS3 itself, allowing developers to sign and run code on - if I'm correct - legit PS3's.
comicIDIOT wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
And there's already laws on the books to protect this at least as far as iPhone's go.
And other mobile devices, exactly. But the jailbreaking for the iPhone allows unsigned code to run, where as GeoHot published the sign code for the PS3 itself, allowing developers to sign and run code on - if I'm correct - legit PS3's.

That's precisely what we did with factoring the public keys on all TI graphing calculators -- releasing the keys to sign our own code and make it as legitimate as TI's.

If it's necessary to execute our own code, we can do it.
And yet this guy was taken to court over it, and ended up having to pay some undisclosed amount to retain his freedom. Can you say fascism?
That's what happens when you have a giant corporation like Sony with unlimited resources, money, and lawyers -- the law doesn't apply to them.

They're no different than Microsoft, Nintendo, TI, or anyone else -- they're just bigger jerks about it and push back harder.
That's why I have the political views I do, but that's a totally different topic. I think it's great that Sony is getting f--ked on this. I can't wait to see how Kevin Butler(or someone making fun of Kevin Butler) tries to spin this...
DShiznit wrote:
And yet this guy was taken to court over it, and ended up having to pay some undisclosed amount to retain his freedom. Can you say fascism?
Doing so on a PS3 grants much more personal information than on a calculator.

If you run a malicious program on the PS3 it could potentially view, and thus steal, your credit card info. How many people keep their credit cards on file within their calculator? Their home address? Personal Phone number(s)? E-mails address(es)?

While TI may still have tried to sue, their cause was more for their intellectual property than that of the safety for the end user, where as Sony has both in mind.
I'm sure Sony has a lot of people breathing down their neck about security, from end users to the game developers. I'm not arguing there's not more at stake.

It doesn't negate the argument that we should be able to do what we want with our hardware, though.
comicIDIOT wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Doing so on a PS3 grants much more personal information than on a calculator.

If you run a malicious program on the PS3 it could potentially view, and thus steal, your credit card info. How many people keep their credit cards on file within their calculator? Their home address? Personal Phone number(s)? E-mails address(es)?

While TI may still have tried to sue, their cause was more for their intellectual property than that of the safety for the end user, where as Sony has both in mind.

Who the hell is going to steal their own personal information? If you're referring to someone else writing something and distributing it to steal other people's personal info, don't we already have programs on our computers that do that? How is running unsigned code on a console any more dangerous than running unsigned code on a PC?
Who wouldn't? If you're a hacker you'd be rather dumb to steal everyone's credentials except yours. It isn't any less dangerous to run unsigned code on any platform, but it's not like Microsoft or Apple can stop that information from leaving the computer. Sony can, since all the personal information is on a server and *not* stored on the PS3. So any malicious programs can't get any information about any particular user - aside from login e-mail and pasword - when it can't access the network. Nor do applications need to be "signed" in order to run on a PC - or maybe they do but I'm not educated in the creation of computer applications. I just remember that some Java applications I'd download (even some EXE's back when I used Windows regularly) wouldn't have certificates.

But comparing the information one could get from hacking into PSN than hacking a Personal Computer is another topic.

Also, the PSN user needs to be careful about PS Applications & Games they download online outside PSN now, as they'll not only appear legit, but they'll be signed and run on a legit PS3. But a malicious program is still a malicious program whether it's signed or not; run on a legit PS3 or a jailbroken one.
I'm not saying people should be allowed to hack network, but there's no reason why anyone shouldn't be allowed to write programs to run on their own individual PS3s.
Interrupting this little exchange for a second, there are some reports that Playstation Networks' users credit card info has been put up for sale, although whether it's legit or not is a matter of speculation.
And they're getting hit with a class-action lawsuit. I used to be a fan of Sony's products, but their dictatorial attitude toward homebrew has changed my mind completely. I almost hope this kills them as a company.
DShiznit wrote:
And they're getting hit with a class-action lawsuit. I used to be a fan of Sony's products, but their dictatorial attitude toward homebrew has changed my mind completely. I almost hope this kills them as a company.
I'd agree that companies that turn their back on the homebrew / enthusiast crows are making a big mistake (I'm also of course thinking of Texas Instruments). These communities create many more potential users of the companies' products, and generate tons of free advertising.
It turns out all of sony's online divisions used the same security system, as in none.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/bad-news-all-sony-online-games-taken-offline-due-to-that-whole-external-intrusion-thing-updated/3110/
KermMartian wrote:
Interrupting this little exchange for a second, there are some reports that Playstation Networks' users credit card info has been put up for sale, although whether it's legit or not is a matter of speculation.

Looks like Sony is acknowledging the theft of CC info. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/05/sony-apologizes-says-10-million-credit-card-accounts-may-have-been-exposed-in-network-attack.html

[edit]

Looks like they got hacked a second time: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/05/sony-online-entertainment-hack/
Hm. I never get my debit card on their servers for longer than I needed. I would add it to pay for something then remove it almost there after.

Hopefully they delete data when it is removed by a user.
This is just getting sad...
  • Sony has been the victim of a very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack.
  • We discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of our Sony Online Entertainment servers named “Anonymous” with the words “We are Legion.”

Unrelated:
I want the network to be up now, my Folding at Home count is almost 100 Razz
comicIDIOT wrote:
  • Sony has been the victim of a very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack.
  • We discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of our Sony Online Entertainment servers named “Anonymous” with the words “We are Legion.”

Sounds like butt-covering to me. Does anything seriously think a bunch of /b/tards are out to make a buck on credit cards? Where are the lulz to be had?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours