I am thinking about taking a degree in Informatics Engineering. I was wondering about how similar it is to Computer Science and how foreign companies look at it. For example, Google hires Computer Scientists, they never mention Informatics Engineering. I've seen other advertisements hiring CS graduates, but never Informatics Engineers. Why? Because Informatics Engineering is a South European term. Spain, Portugal and Italy have this degree mainly.

My question is, how well can I do in foreign countries? (And no, I can't take CS around here Sad).

Here is the list of subjects for the first 2 years (it's 3 years of licensing, 2 years of mastering and no-idea for doctoring).

First year:

Code:

SUBJECT                                            SEMESTER  TYPE
Linear Algebra and Analytic Geometry               1º Sem    Maths
Maths Analysis I                                   1º Sem    Maths
Discrete Structures                                 1º Sem    Informatics
Intrudoction to Programming and Problem Solving    1º Sem    Informatics
Computer Technologies                              1º Sem    Informatics (how computers work)
Maths Analysis II                                   2º Sem    Maths
Computers Arquitecture                              2º Sem    Informatics (inside of computers)
Statistics                                           2º Sem    Maths
Prodecural Programming Priciples                   2º Sem    Informatics
Modern Physics                                      2º Sem   Physics

Second year:

Code:
SUBJECT                                SEMESTER      TYPE
Introduction to Communication Networks 1º Sem    Informatics      
Object-Oriented Programming            1º Sem    Informatics      
Operating Systems                      1º Sem    Informatics      
Computation Theory                    1º Sem    Informatics      
Information Theory                    1º Sem    Informatics      
Algorithms and Data Structures        2º Sem    Informatics      
Analysis and transformation of data      2º Sem    Informatics      
Multimedia                              2º Sem    Informatics      
Communication Protocols               2º Sem    Informatics      
Scientific Simulation and Computation  2º Sem    Informatics   

The subject names were translated from Portuguese, so they may not be perfect. What do you think of the subjects and how similar it is to CS around there (USA and stuff)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informatics_engineering

Looks like a condensed version of a CS degree out here in the US.
We have an informatics school. They mainly do webby UI things and break MySQL a lot.
It looks very much like a 2-year CS degree sort of thing, but more for code monkeying than true computer science. I notice a lack of advanced math there, like calculus and similar theoretical coursework.
KermMartian wrote:
It looks very much like a 2-year CS degree sort of thing, but more for code monkeying than true computer science. I notice a lack of advanced math there, like calculus and similar theoretical coursework.

Computation Theory == Theory of Computation?
KermMartian wrote:

The degree is 3 years + 2 years of mastering, those are only the first two years because from the third year until the end you choose most of your subjects. If you want a more software thing you'll be able to learn more Flash and Software-Stuff but if you are more hardware-like you can choose more electronics-oriented subjects.

Quote:
Computation Theory == Theory of Computation?

Probably.

So how do you think I'll succeed as someone looking for jobs as software engineer?

Thanks
KermMartian wrote:
I notice a lack of advanced math there, like calculus and similar theoretical coursework.

I would imagine one would have to take calc before linear algebra, and as elf said there are a couple theoretical courses in there...

@ScoutDavid: can you give us a link to where you're getting this list of courses? (even if the page is in Portuguese.)
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I notice a lack of advanced math there, like calculus and similar theoretical coursework.

I would imagine one would have to take calc before linear algebra, and as elf said there are a couple theoretical courses in there...

@ScoutDavid: can you give us a link to where you're getting this list of courses? (even if the page is in Portuguese.)

No I can't sorry Sad

We have to take a Maths exam before applying for this degree.
ScoutDavid wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

No I can't sorry Sad

Can you tell us the name of the University that offers this degree?
https://woc.uc.pt/dei/course/planocurricular.do?courseId=14

There
From what I've found here and here, the program seems to be accredited by a few large organizations, so that would be a plus when trying to use the degree to get a job in the US. The main problem that I see for you though would be an employer not understanding that when the term "Computer Science" is translated to Spanish/French/Portuguese/etc. and then back again you get "Informatics", which sounds closer to IT or "Information Technology", which is a bit different from "Computer Science".
Indeed, and IT is generally regarded as a less-rigorous degree than computer science, hence the confusion. Elfprince, I'm not convinced that Theory of Computation is actually that theoretical of a course unless I see a course catalog. Smile I find the lack of functionality and information on the linked website slightly concerning, as well as the full-sized JPG of the course coordinator embedded as a thumbnail. Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
Indeed, and IT is generally regarded as a less-rigorous degree than computer science, hence the confusion. Elfprince, I'm not convinced that Theory of Computation is actually that theoretical of a course unless I see a course catalog. Smile I find the lack of functionality and information on the linked website slightly concerning, as well as the full-sized JPG of the course coordinator
embedded as a thumbnail. Very Happy

Then probably I'll move to 150km away after taking this degree and license on Computer Science. It exists in my country, but not in my city.
KermMartian wrote:
Indeed, and IT is generally regarded as a less-rigorous degree than computer science, hence the confusion.

Not at all, they just focus on different things. IT tends to be more towards the system admin/datacenter side of things, whereas CS is more on the theoretical/algorithm side of things.

@ScoutDavid: Degree means very little. There are senior engineers at Google with only a high school diploma to their name. That piece of paper is mainly to help you get your foot in the door for the first couple of years - then experience takes priority. What actually matters is if you can code or not and whether or not you can understand/design efficient algorithms. Both of those are equally important, by the way.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
From what I've found here and here, the program seems to be accredited by a few large organizations, so that would be a plus when trying to use the degree to get a job in the US. The main problem that I see for you though would be an employer not understanding that when the term "Computer Science" is translated to Spanish/French/Portuguese/etc. and then back again you get "Informatics", which sounds closer to IT or "Information Technology", which is a bit different from "Computer Science".

From this discussion, it seems that Informatics would probably more closely relate to Information Science than Information Technology.
Kllrnohj, I respect your opinion, but in my experience IT is regarded as less rigorous and requiring less skill than programming or computer science. That's far from true for all people, of course, and one of the smartest hackers (in the old-school sense) that I know is the Telecomm/IT maintainer for my college.
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj, I respect your opinion, but in my experience IT is regarded as less rigorous and requiring less skill than programming or computer science. That's far from true for all people, of course, and one of the smartest hackers (in the old-school sense) that I know is the Telecomm/IT maintainer for my college.

I'll take a degree on Informatics Engineering. It's just like Computer Science, in Europe.
Indeed, we had gotten side-tracked into debating Information Technology as a major in America. Smile
KermMartian wrote:

Yes, but you are also in one of the fields - you are selection biasing pretty hardcore Wink

Besides, we are talking about the degrees, not the people that take them. Both degrees are pretty easy to get.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Yes, but you are also in one of the fields - you are selection biasing pretty hardcore Wink

Besides, we are talking about the degrees, not the people that take them. Both degrees are pretty easy to get.

My school has Information Systems and Computer Science majors. IS is basically a hybrid between CS and a business major. CS is one of the three heaviest majors in the school (along with physics, and math), whereas Business is the lightest major in the school (as measured by average student workload per week). CS is definitely the more rigorous of the two.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours