I use a Texas Instruments TI-86, and it recently crashed on me and I lost all my programs. I've downloaded them on my computer, but can't get TI-Graph Link 86 to recognize the communications port. I am using a black link cable, and a computer with Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

Can anybody here give me a hand? I've got the calculator plugged into the cable, the cable plugged into the computer, and the calculator turned on. TI-Graph Link is just having trouble opening the communication port.
Welcome to Cemetech, Calculator! Once we get your issue sorted out or you have a chance, would you care to Introduce Yourself? Can you be more specific about what the difficulty is? Are you sure that you're specifying the correct COM port? If the computer as old as it sounds, it's likely you have several, including your modem.
My computer has three COM ports, the DB9 serial, the DB25 parallel, and a modem. I've tried all 4 com port optipons in TI-Graph Link but none seem to work. I know nothing's wrong with the cable and calculator link port (It was used with TI-Connect recently and worked fine), and the serial port in the computer is fine (I tested it by plugging in a serial mouse).

I wonder if this is some sort of glitch or something.

Edit: I figured out the problem. In Windows 3.1, TI-Graph Link 86 doesn't work with black cables. I plugged in my gray parallel Graph-Link cable and it's working great!

Edit by Tanner: Please don't double post.
Not to be a pain, but we generally discourage double-posting within fewer than twelve to twenty-four hours of your previous post in favor of editing. I'm very happy to hear that you figured your issue out!
I'm glad you got it working; I was under the impression that the grey link was a serial device, though, not a parallel one? (Maybe it has a DB-25 instead of a DE-9 connector on it?)
It works in my parallel port. It's one of these:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NN5GK896L._SL500_.jpg

I found it in a garbage can at work a while ago.
Calculator wrote:

Hmm, I think I actually saw one of those way, way back in the day. Without being rude, I'm curious why or how you're working with such ancient technology. Smile
Calculator wrote:

As the photo includes a of a DB-25 to DE-9 adaptor (common with serial ports) I'm still inclined to believe it's a serial cable, not a parallel one (are you plugging it into a male or female port?) I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that TI did not make a parallel cable.
I plugged the cable into a male DB25 port. I guess it could be a serial. I just thought it was a parallel port because the one I plug my printer into looks just like it except it's a female.

KermMartian wrote:
Calculator wrote:

Hmm, I think I actually saw one of those way, way back in the day. Without being rude, I'm curious why or how you're working with such ancient technology. Smile

I just never felt like upgrading my home computer. All I really do on it is check my email, do spreadsheets, type things, and of course, send programs to my calculators. At work we've got much better computers, so when I need something faster, I just use a computer there.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours