I think that SirCmpwn is avoiding a large memory footprint by avoiding the use of trees (which unfortunately causes a tradeoff to large CPU usage to parse a particular expression, which is fine as far as design decisions go, in my opinion).
I can see both sides. The only reason why I use trees is because the algorithms can be generic and small in code size (and because GlassOS gives programs loads of memory). For this parser, I can see it running faster than mine when working with larger expressions and it will be easier to parse output from a calculation (with mine giving the answer as either a tree or a string). Also, functions would be better to parse than with a tree.

I'm sure that the more interesting part will come when these systems can compete with other calculators in functionality (come on, these are calculators)

</rant from school whilst bored>
SirC, any progress with this expression parser? I am curious as to how you handle certain types of functions such as sqrt and powers... Would you leave these as exact answers or as approx? (2*sqrt(2) instead of getting a decimal answer)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours