Has anyone seen the news posted at calcgames.org??

Quote:
Again CalcGames.org has decided to have a decidedly non calculator related news item, because this concerns all humanity. I've been keeping close tabs on the Marburg Virus outbreak in Angola. It's similar in type to Ebola, but this strain of Marburg is much more deadly, with rates hovering at 100%, this could, and is, posing a major health threat. The capital, Luanda, has an international airport, and the country has strong colonial ties to Portugal. Obviously, if someone unknowingly carried virus entered Europe, the consequences could be disastrous. This situation is all the more dangerous as the humanitarian group Doctors Without Boarders is recommending that hospitals be shut down in parts of Uige, the province where the outbreak started, as they are suspected of being a main vector for the spread of the virus. This action, combined with the populations growing distrust in its medical workers, could lead to civil unrest. Already the CDC has been forced to scale back its activities as their convoys are being attacked. I expect if this situation deteriorates further, international quarantine of the entire region may be seriously considered.

There are some sites that contain good information about this outbreak: The WHO has a page containing daily updates.

Also, the CDC is a good place to look for more information.

The last site I'll list is the one I favor the most, and I highly recommend that you read what they have to say about this. Recombinomics has excellent analysis on this event, even though its news system is cryptic to navigate. Their latest report is quite frighting. I found that the best way to get the latest from Recombinomics is to go to google news, and on the Health news tabs, click for more stories about Marburg, then sort by date, and look for the latest from them.

If anything new comes out, I'll post it here. Thanks for reading.

Update: 4/11/2005 11:06 PDT
It appears that The Uige hospital is the main source of the virus, and that a possible explanation for the large amount of those who have died from Marburg were under five was because the injection equipment was infected itself, and that helped the virus spread. It also appears that the residents are not going to the hospitals after becoming infected, as they see a trip to the isolation as a death sentence, which in the case of this virus, is true. This means that many people(and thus cases) are not being tracked, which could lead to a explosion of new cases as these people spread the virus (especially if this strain is airborne). However, international aid convoys have resumed, as attacks seem to have slackened off somewhat.

Update: 4/10/2005 10:10 PDT
Link for Recombinomics has been updated. They are now reporting that it is looking that Marburg has gained the ability to become airborne, as healthcare workers are being infected at a rate higher than should be expected if it was only contact transmissible.

This is almost terrifying... Makes one wonder if it wasn't some sort of terrorist attack...
Hmm, I don't think that it is, but you never know. Hopefully they'll have it under control soon. Sad
Yea, I don't think it was terrorism related. If it was two things would have happened. 1) someone would certainly take responsibility for it. and 2) a lot of people would have died very very quickly.

It's definitely something to be very concerned about. If efforts to contain it fail, we're all in trouble.

ON a related note, did everyone hear about the new super drug resistant strain of AIDS that seems to be emerging here in the United States?
No, when did news about that happen?
I think sometime last month. It was a pretty big news topic, especially here in our city, Kerm
(They know where we live - you don't have to be secretive about it, although I appreciate your concern.)

Really? I must just be really oblivious. Very Happy
lol, yes, we finally managed to get him to tell us, sorta...
They know the city and neighborhood, but nothing more specific. Very Happy
Oh ok, well I wasn't too sure if you wanted me to divulge that information.
No prob. Feel free to continue the secrecy - I do. Very Happy

So are there any new updates about this?
Poor you... Razz
Mad Can we please get back on topic??? Mad

Laughing

Seriously though, has anyone heard more about this?
Not much, Kerm. The story has died down because people haven't been taking the idea of a new super strain seriously at all. Which is very very very bad for everyone. That's why the CDC and those in NY have been begging people to pay attention, but unfortunately it seems to not be working. I haven't heard anything for around 2 weeks. Last I heard was that the new AIDS strain they found was incredibly vicious in all its hosts, that the guy who has it went on a drung binge and had random sex with a lot of people and that it was resisting all drugs they were throwing at it.
Well, Carefull screening, and abstinance would keep it from getting out of control, but how do you get them to submit...

Maybe if they offered free food with doing the screening. I know I would go! Smile

Or offered something. I guess they could go through businesses and make it mandatory for some sort of blood test.
That the problem with these things - you never know if the media is being sensationalist or honestly reporting something.
Well, this AIDS thing should only aply to those who are sexually active with people they don't know ph43r I think we all know how to prevent this...condoms

Quote:

I know your name, your parents name, your apartment number, your SSN, and...Laughing
I'll be taking a trip by car to Massachusettes this sumer, and I'll be diving through New York City. Who knows, we just might meet each other ph43r
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Well, this AIDS thing should only aply to those who are sexually active with people they don't know ph43r I think we all know how to prevent this...condoms

Quote:

I know your name, your parents name, your apartment number, your SSN, and...Laughing
I'll be taking a trip by car to Massachusettes this sumer, and I'll be diving through New York City. Who knows, we just might meet each other ph43r

No, you only know my name.
I'll be the tall guy walking around typing on a calculator. Laughing
lol. I have a pic of me on the net somewhere, though I have made some changes to myself since it was taken... Let me see if I can find it...

Since that was taken, I have lost about 30 lbs, so I am not nearly as 'wide'. The guy on the right side is Terry Goodkind, one of my favorite authors. The other is RA Salvatore, and I hope to be able to meet him one of these days.
Awesome. So you're the old guy with the goatee? Very Happy
hey Kerm minute

[Please note that this post has been rebuilt from a corrupted database.]

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours