http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sys/2280538025.html

I told my Mom to jump on this if he still has it. What do you guys think of me using this as a replacement for my netbook?
Another netbook.
That seems awfully cheap; I am somewhat suspicious of the price for the features. If it's legit, though, that's a good deal.
KermMartian wrote:
That seems awfully cheap; I am somewhat suspicious of the price for the features. If it's legit, though, that's a good deal.

Indeed, but the beauty of craigslist is that I can go there and play with it before I buy.
Looks like a good deal if it's legitimate. Good luck!
It's much faster than your old netbook, and for that price it seems decent. Make sure the battery is good, though. You don't want something that discharges in 10 minutes.
Quote:
Hi! If you still have this, my 18 yr old son is extremely interested! He has an avid interest (and has been teaching himself) in game design- modeling, programming, etc. and said this would be really helpful to him. I could meet you Friday afternoon/evening or over the weekend, just let me know. ThanksJ! –Sarah Martinelli

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sys/2280538025.html

Quote:
Hi Sarah,

Yes it is still available and it would be perfect for a high school game designer. I work from home so I have the afternoon open. I can meet you anytime you like at the Dunkin Donuts on Ridge & Leverington Ave. Shoot me an email and let me know what time would be ok with you. Just give me an hour beforehand so I can reboot the entire system for you.

Thank you,

Jason

Quote:
Awesome! I should just shoot you an email on Friday then? Is it $225 or $185 (listing said one, actual post said another). Let me know, thanks! -Sarah

Quote:
Since it is for your son make it $185- send me an email Thursday night or Friday morning letting me know what time you would like to meet and the earlier the better for me but no big deal. And if it works for you the DD on Ridge & Leverington is an easy place to meet if you are relatively close to Manayunk. let me know, thanks
Awesome stuff =) Good luck!
Thanks. If there are any problems with the battery, I know an aftermarket supplier I've used before to get a 10.5 hour netbook battery for $50.
Even when my Toshiba Satellite got down to ~40 minutes of battery life, I never had problems using it in most situations, since I was rarely far from 120v AC.
I liked using my netbook to run emulators while on car trips, but I have a psp now that can do that, so meh.
DShiznit wrote:
I liked using my netbook to run emulators while on car trips, but I have a psp now that can do that, so meh.

Your friend for long trips, even with good battery life: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=536&name=Power-Inverters
Oh nice. I might look into that sometime.
I'd check it over thoroughly before you hand over the money, though. Turn it on, make sure everything's in order, no obvious bangs and scrapes.
If there was a starcraft 2 demo I'd try that. As it is, I might just bring it on a flash drive for stress testing.
pshhhh. Run memtest and get the hdd's SMART values.
allynfolksjr wrote:
pshhhh. Run memtest and get the hdd's SMART values.
That's an excellent idea. I have the worst luck with even my own hard drives, so I certainly would have a hard time trusting someone else's treatment of a hard drive.
DShiznit wrote:
If there was a starcraft 2 demo I'd try that. As it is, I might just bring it on a flash drive for stress testing.

That's a lot of stress. You might not get a great impression of even a decent laptop unless you turn a lot of things down, or it has a nice graphics card.
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

That's a lot of stress. You might not get a great impression of even a decent laptop unless you turn a lot of things down, or it has a nice graphics card.

It has a GeForce 8 series graphics card Smile

Anyway I got it this morning, and promptly reformatted the hard disk and installed Windows XP. It works, but I can't get XP drivers for the network cards(even from HP's official site) so I'm stuck with almost nothing working. At this point, I'm thinking of just sucking it up and installing 7, since the hardware was made for Vista and above. Unless you guys know where to get XP drivers for an HP Pavilion 2700 entertainment PC?
Use the Device Manager to find out what's inside.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours