elfprince13 wrote:
It still looks like a calculator, which is really all I think they care about.
As odd and depressing as that sounds, I'm sure that you're 100% correct about that. Sad That's probably their exact criterium. I'm actually quite excited about getting a Prizm now...
Actually the criteria is that it cannot have built in wireless capibilities and it cannot have a qwerty keypad, everything else is fine afaik. Though it still has to go on their list of approved calcs but those are the two main factors I have heard/seen.
TheStorm wrote:
Actually the criteria is that it cannot have built in wireless capibilities and it cannot have a qwerty keypad, everything else is fine afaik. Though it still has to go on their list of approved calcs but those are the two main factors I have heard/seen.
Those are the two that they publicize, but I bet a clamshell calculator would be frowned upon, since the people behind you would be able to see what was on your screen.
Zera wrote:
Wow. Casio knows how to make a calculator. It has a back light and supports SD cards.

I wonder if people can write their own games and programs for this thing...

The feature list says the slim featured above does not support SD cards, but you can buy the TI-Nspire/84+ look alike that does. So I don't know about the slim's SD card capability but the FX-9860G SD does. I saw a picture showing files and not programs, kind of like the Nspire where you can not really program in Basic. Does anybody know about the programming features?
I'm fairly sure it has a full BASIC programming environment like the TI-84+/SE series. I have a Casio Prizm (the FX-CG10) in front of me as we speak, my brand-new purchase, which I believe is in the same series and seems to have pretty decent programming capabilities. My curiosity is still very much nagging me about that clamshell Nspire, though...
So, the clamshell one is limited to BASIC? I can't seem to find anyone who knows a lot about it.
Zera wrote:
So, the clamshell one is limited to BASIC? I can't seem to find anyone who knows a lot about it.
I'm under the impression that that's because not many people have used it or even have one, which is unfortunate, because it seems like that's just a result of it being a Casio calculator instead of a TI calculator. According to Wikipedia's page on the Casio 9860 series:

Quote:
The other method is to create an add-in. Add-ins are binary programs, executing directly on the calculators CPU. CASIO has released two official add-ins, GEOMETRY and PHYSIUM. An SDK was released by CASIO in 2006, allowing users to create their own add-ins, though no support is provided for this by CASIO. The add-ins and the SDK are available for registered users at CASIO's website.
no, it would be perfectly able to use asm too, but it is euro only unfortunetly (according to TI-FAIL)
qazz42 wrote:
no, it would be perfectly able to use asm too, but it is euro only unfortunetly (according to TI-FAIL)
Err, what? We're talking about the Casio SLIM clamshell calculator that's been around for many years. This TI clamshell calculator is so far a hoax (see first page of topic).
err, no it is not, it is a European-only calculator, but it is not yet released :/ the pic was fake though
qazz42 wrote:
err, no it is not, it is a European-only calculator, but it is not yet released :/ the pic was fake though
Do you have a non-Omni source, link, or picture to prove it?
http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/FRANCE/productDetail/fr_TI-84Pocket.html

Quote:
Alec,

Thank you for the reply.

I checked with our European customer support team and got a translation. All it says is coming soon. This appears to be a European exclusive and this is all the information that we have.

I hope that you find this information helpful. If you have further questions or comments, please feel free to send me an email.

Warmest Regards,
Ah, thanks very much for that. Speaking of TI and their various failings, as soon as I spend a few more hours playing with my Casio Prizm, I'm going to write a review of it, and talk about why people should get Prizms instead of CXes. I might email TI and mention that they should give it a read. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
Awww, Either

1. Critor did it on purpose (passed of the pic as the calc)
2. Critor did not know
3. TI is REALLY losing their originality...

awww Sad
I'd lean towards one of the first two. Smile Probably the second, since Critor seems like a decent guy.

I've 'shopped it myself, but there was no bad intention.
I just wanted to see people reactions.

It was mentionned from the beginning on TI-Bank that this was just an example of what a "Pocket" TI-84 could be (but in french), as I have official confirmation from TI that the "Pocket" word is for the special casing of this new Ti-84.

It has been mentionned on Omnimaga quite quickly too (after 4-5 posts about it).

Anyway, I now have official confirmation from TI, that the new TI-84 Pocket.fr "doesn't look like that at all", but that they couldn't tell me more.

So let's try to 'shop a different TI-84 Pocket.fr, and ask them again.
The TI-84+ hardware in a smaller TI-80-like case, for example?
Actually, after taking a look at how the mainboard and display board on a TI-83+ connect, I'm pretty sure I could build a clam-shell calc. It wouldn't be as small as the one pictured(it would be shaped more like a cell-phone to accommodate the length of the mainboard, only larger) but it could be done.
DShiznit, exactly, see also my Ultimate Calculator 3 project. Smile Critor, ah, no hard feelings, that's what I assumed. Smile Perhaps it's a TI-84+ in a thinner case with a rechargeable battery, then?
TI-Bank has revealed some pictures of the TI-84 Pocket.Fr design. According to info they received about the LCD being the same size as the old TI-84 Plus, the calc is definitively smaller, but it's still like a regular calculator. I hope the hardware in general is the same.

-First TI-84 Pocket.Fr image
-Larger one (includes a 610x1000 image link)
-Comparing its size with other models, based on LCD size info

Not sure if TI-BANK wanted people to use img tags due to their slow host, so I linked to them.
Thanks for sharing these, DJ_O. I dunno, that looks a bit ugly to me, especially those arrow keys, but maybe I'm just not open-minded enough. I'm surprised to see that it's the same size as a TI-80; I thought the TI-80 was the same size as all the others.
Yeah, the TI 84 Pocket.fr looks kinda ugly. I'm wondering why they dropped the "+", though.
Personally I like it except the arrow keys, although I'm a bit worried that other keys are a bit too close to each others. In BASIC programming I can't count how many times I accidentally hit CLEAR instead of Down while coding.

As for the TI-80 it had a 64x48 LCD and seemed to have cheaper plastic, as we could easily bend the calc and it could break easily when falling on the floor. It was meant as a calc for people who couldn't afford the TI-83 Plus.

EDIT: @ the Plus: I hope this doesn't mean they dropped Flash support. Shock

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours