Those prices are amazingly insane; that connector is worth about $5 at the most. Perhaps you could try contacting ASUS America about getting one OEM?
I'll use their "email technical support" to request the part.

EDIT- request sent, should receive a response within 48 hours.
DShiznit wrote:
The display on my ASUS Eee PC keeps going white. While is started out as merely annoying, it's become more and more of a hassle to use my comp. At first I could just readjust the screen and it would come back, but more recently I've had to remove the front panel from the monitor so I could jiggle the wire on the left to get it to work. Now, I have to jiggle the wire almost constantly to maintain a picture, making the computer almost entirely useless without an external monitor. Is there any documentation for disassembling this machine and replacing the wire(it appears to be 4 or 5 30 gauge threads in a single cord)? Or am gonna have to give in and buy an [jailbroken] iPad?

If you actually have to buy a new computer I might recommend building your own desktop instead of getting a portable (unless you absolutely need one). You'll get a higher spec'd machine for cheaper. Good luck with the repairs.
elfprince13 wrote:
If you actually have to buy a new computer I might recommend building your own desktop instead of getting a portable (unless you absolutely need one). You'll get a higher spec'd machine for cheaper. Good luck with the repairs.

I was actually thinking of getting my grandparents to finance just that since they got my brother a $600 drumset. I do however really like taking my emulators and home office everywhere I go, which is why I have a netbook to begin with.
Indeed, I definitely would choose to have only portable computers over only desktop computers, despite the potential power and lower cost of desktops.
Quote:
Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
For your problem, it might be a hardware problem.
So please contact Asus TSD to set up an RMA for diagnostics and repair on the system.
Would you please refer to the following page and fill in the RMA Submittal Form:
http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx
You can give a call to question the details in advance.
RMA: 812-282-ASUS(2787) - option 2; option 4
Tech support: 1-888-678-3688
A hardware problem? No sh!t? You don't say?
Well, did you do so? Smile
I'm doing that now. What is RMA, and do I need to send my computer in? Because right now my computer is in pieces, and some of the cosmetic pieces won't go back together...
DShiznit wrote:
I'm doing that now. What is RMA, and do I need to send my computer in? Because right now my computer is in pieces, and some of the cosmetic pieces won't go back together...
RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization, and you do indeed need to send your computer in for that. I think it's better if you try to talk to a representative and convince them to sell you just the cable assembly, though.
I'll have to call them later today then.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours