So for a few days now Ive been having an issue that ubuntu 10.10 will not see one of my HDD's. I currently have 3 in the machine, one as OS other 2 as media storage. I can see the hard drive in gparted, but when i try to mount it it get the following error
Quote:
Unable to mount location."DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."
It was working for a bit, and now has just stopped. Both the extra hard drives are formatted NTFS because thats what they were when i pulled them form my windows tower. I can reformat them if i need to, but i dont want to if i dont have to.
If i missed anything let me know, because its a very good possibility i overlooked something.
Did you try installing ntfs-3g?
Why don't you pop open a command line and try to mount it? Do you know either the device name (/dev/blah) or the mountpoint (/media/blah or /mnt/blah)?
souvik1997 wrote:
Did you try installing ntfs-3g?

Nope not yet.

@ Kerm Doing that now

EDIT:
Kerm no go, wouldnt mount it.

Gonna try installing what souvik said now.

EDIT2:
Looks like its already installed :/
RCfreak, what was the mountpoint? What did you try? Did you try it as root? What error(s)?
Post the output of fdisk -l
KermMartian wrote:
RCfreak, what was the mountpoint? What did you try? Did you try it as root? What error(s)?

The mount point according to the "disk utility" what /dev/sdb/ but when i tried "mount /dev/sdb" It said it couldnt find it..

OUtput of fdisk here:
Quote:
hal@box:~$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0008db2e

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 121602 976760832 7 HPFS/NTFS
hal@box:~$

Thats for the hard drive in question. I can post the other 2 if need be.
You should be doing sudo mount /dev/sdb1. Sdb is the device; sdbN are the partitions.
KermMartian wrote:
You should be doing sudo mount /dev/sdb1. Sdb is the device; sdbN are the partitions.

I was doing sudo, sorry.
Also just did what you said and got this:
Quote:
hal@box:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1
[sudo] password for hal:
mount: can't find /dev/sdb1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

I am kinda a linux noob so bear with my dumbness at times lol
Do sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /media/<Mount point>, if the above command doesn't work.
Souvik: Generally you don't need to specify the type; it generally will be smart about detecting it. Smile RCFreak, what souvik said should work. Try a sudo mkdir /media/testmount, and use that in Souvik's line.
Use Debian. Ubuntu is a piece of crap.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Use Debian. Ubuntu is a piece of crap.

Why is debian so much better? Why not one of the numerous other flavors of linux? Smile

Also it seems the HDD may be dead as its not formatting to anything> Ill keep messing with it tonight, but im planning on getting
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 x2 to replace it possible since i need more space soon anyways.
In GPArted, delete the ntfs partition, and install something more Linux friendly like ext3 or ext4.
souvik1997 wrote:
In GPArted, delete the ntfs partition, and install something more Linux friendly like ext3 or ext4.

I tried, it sat at creating the ext3 file system for like 30 mins. so i dont know whats up.
If it is a large disk, it will probably take a long time.
Its a 1tb drive.. How long you think it'll take?
I don't know, maybe an hour? When I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a 200 GB partition, the formatting of the partition took around 12-15 minutes.
Hmm ok, Ill try it again. Hopefully it'll work,
A full formatting and wipe takes that long; an ext3 format shouldn't take more than a minute or two. Anyway, the Caviar Black is a good drive, but $90 for 1TB is not a good price.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours