Has anyone here used Ubuntu and run into the problem where it won't go to the correct web address no matter what you do? I can type in Youtube.com and Firefox will take me to Google sometimes. It changes what websites mess up at different times of the day / different times I boot.
_player1537 wrote:
Has anyone here used Ubuntu and run into the problem where it won't go to the correct web address no matter what you do? I can type in Youtube.com and Firefox will take me to Google sometimes. It changes what websites mess up at different times of the day / different times I boot.

I have a feeling that something modified your /etc/hosts file.
technomonkey76 wrote:
_player1537 wrote:

I have a feeling that something modified your /etc/hosts file.
That's what it sounds like. Alternatively, your DNS is crazily wonky.
Try resetting your router, if your /etc/hosts file isn't the problem.
Oddly enough, Ctrl-R seemed to fix it. I'll have to see if it fixes it any other time. For the record, it works fine on Windows.
Set your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Kllrnohj wrote:
Set your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
That way, Google can be your DNS! Huzzah!
Oh yeah, forgot about this topic. Setting my DNS to Google fixed everything Smile
_player1537 wrote:
Oh yeah, forgot about this topic. Setting my DNS to Google fixed everything Smile
Oh goodie, glad to hear it. And only two months late on letting us know! Wink
I only fixed it a week ago Razz I had been trying to set the DNS the wrong way, and Google helped explain how to do it correctly Razz
_player1537 wrote:
I only fixed it a week ago Razz I had been trying to set the DNS the wrong way, and Google helped explain how to do it correctly Razz
Err, you could have asked us. Smile You probably would have gotten some JFGI commands from the likes of Kllrnohj, but you might have gotten some help. Smile
Well, I thought I had it correct :/ It still messed up, but I guess I let myself believe that I had fewer failures when going to websites.
_player1537 wrote:
Well, I thought I had it correct :/ It still messed up, but I guess I let myself believe that I had fewer failures when going to websites.
Ah, that's fair enough. Does your ISP therefore have extremely shoddy DNS service or something?
Not sure. Everything works really well in Windows. I haven't had it bring me to the wrong website yet. It is only from Ubuntu that things start to mess up :/ Either way, works now Smile
_player1537 wrote:
Not sure. Everything works really well in Windows. I haven't had it bring me to the wrong website yet. It is only from Ubuntu that things start to mess up :/ Either way, works now Smile
That's very strange, and somewhat concerning; at any rate, I'm happy to hear all is well now! Smile
I was going to recommend disabling IPv6 DNS, which is my most frequent issue with Firefox under Linux, but I see you've resolved it after all.

You could also try 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 as your DNS servers (OpenDNS).
I used to have to disable IPv6 DNS under Windows Vista to make it work with DHCP/DNS on my school network when I was the sysadmin; I'm disappointed to hear that Ubuntu inherited a problem similar to one Windows had. Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours