I managed to get Linky (http://brandonw.net/svn/calcstuff/Linky/) to the point that you can emulate a USB flash drive using the TI-89 Titanium and a raw image of sectors you supply.

I packaged the program, the image for the NT Offline Password and Registry Editor boot disc, and the PC program to create TI-89 Titanium Flash applications out of raw sector images at: http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/NTPasswd.zip.

YouTube video showing it:

This same thing could be used to boot DOS or Windows 3.1 as well -- anything known to fit on a floppy disk (or bigger -- there's about 2.3MB to work with).

Hopefully this also gets people more excited about the prospect of a real USB library coming to the TI-89 Titanium, so that it can enjoy all the usb8x goodness that the 84+/SE has.
That's pretty cool =D Great work.
This is awesome!
I just saw this posted on facebook by CDI/bsparks. Good stuff, Great work!
As always, amazing work from one of our resident Cemetech Experts! Very Happy I enjoyed watching that video a lot, especially when I realized you're also basically the first person to actually have Linux on a calculator (in a sense), all the fake Youtube videos of people running silly BASIC shells notwithstanding.
KermMartian wrote:
As always, amazing work from one of our resident Cemetech Experts! Very Happy I enjoyed watching that video a lot, especially when I realized you're also basically the first person to actually have Linux on a calculator (in a sense), all the fake Youtube videos of people running silly BASIC shells notwithstanding.

Or Windows, if I wanted! Granted, Windows 3.1 or maybe even 95 at best, but it still counts.
BrandonW wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Or Windows, if I wanted! Granted, Windows 3.1 or maybe even 95 at best, but it still counts.
Absolutely counts! Congratulations.
BrandonW: What are the chances you could set up this (or an 84+) to advertise itself as a flash drive, and make it able to send/receive .89*/.8x* files through the OS's file manager? Seems like that would be pretty useful.
elfprince13 wrote:
BrandonW: What are the chances you could set up this (or an 84+) to advertise itself as a flash drive, and make it able to send/receive .89*/.8x* files through the OS's file manager? Seems like that would be pretty useful.
That would be extremely useful! No more need to install any drivers or TI-Connect!
Isn't that what Periph8x is for?
souvik1997 wrote:
Isn't that what Periph8x is for?
I believe that's intended to emulate things like mice and keyboards; the HID spec is probably significantly simpler than the MSD spec, I'd wager.
elfprince13 wrote:
Link8x one of BrandonW's much earlier projects can more or less but it is not prefect.
haha, don't worry, I am sure 95 will count

speaking of which, I think I can test the booter (that is not a word `-`) using Virtual Box. what say you?
elfprince13 wrote:

I attempted this years ago with periph8x for the 84+/SE. It's very involved to emulate a FAT filesystem and translate between oncalc variables and their 8x* file equivalents, not to mention write support being a huge pain because you have to figure out what the PC OS thinks it's doing when it modifies a given sector and then apply that same thing to the actual variables. PC-side write caching makes it even more difficult; you can delete a file in Windows Explorer and pound F5 (Refresh) and Windows makes NO attempt to let the drive know what it did.

Having said that, though, read-only support is complicated, but do-able. Write support might be possible, but it would be twitchy at best.
That's unfortunate, yet more or less what I had thought. Sad I hope that if you get the chance you will give it a try, but it would be certainly understandable if you didn't. What further plans do you have for this project?
BrandonW wrote:
I attempted this years ago with periph8x for the 84+/SE. It's very involved to emulate a FAT filesystem and translate between oncalc variables and their 8x* file equivalents, not to mention write support being a huge pain because you have to figure out what the PC OS thinks it's doing when it modifies a given sector and then apply that same thing to the actual variables. PC-side write caching makes it even more difficult; you can delete a file in Windows Explorer and pound F5 (Refresh) and Windows makes NO attempt to let the drive know what it did.

That's disappointing, but understandable.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours