does anyone know of a laptop brightness control program that exceeds the laptop's own brightness control?

what i am trying to say is...
my laptop's brightness control only allows me to dim the screen so much... and remains quite bright even at dimmest... and of course i want something like this inorder to prolong my battery life as long as possible lol

all i have found so far that exceeds the system default is this:
http://download.cnet.com/Smart-Brightness-Controller/3000-20430_4-75123317.html
but then its a shareware... and it is quitte annoying with all it's other useless features... when i tried it i actually just set it to offset to darkest lol thus ignoreing all it's stupid webcam detection stuff...
And was that darkest value darker than the darkest the build-in controls could set? I'm fairly sure that if the built-in brightness control won't set the backlight any dimmer, that the backlight actually can't be set any dimmer, and any other software pretending to do so is just darkening the actual screen image without dimming the backlight (which is not what you want).
KermMartian wrote:
And was that darkest value darker than the darkest the build-in controls could set? I'm fairly sure that if the built-in brightness control won't set the backlight any dimmer, that the backlight actually can't be set any dimmer, and any other software pretending to do so is just darkening the actual screen image without dimming the backlight (which is not what you want).

hmm... yeah...

but then that just raises the question:
does darker images comsume less power... :/
No, they don't AFAIK, they just block more of the backlight Razz
WhiteValkery wrote:
hmm... yeah...

Depends. If your display is OLED, then yes (your display isn't OLED, btw). If it is an LCD though, then no, the image itself has zero impact on battery life.
Kllrnohj wrote:
WhiteValkery wrote:
hmm... yeah...

Depends. If your display is OLED, then yes (your display isn't OLED, btw). If it is an LCD though, then no, the image itself has zero impact on battery life.
Short answer: No. Your backlight is putting out just as much light; the LCD in front of it is just trying to block more of that light. For proof, display a full-screen black image on your monitor in a dark room. Then turn off the display. See the difference?
Kllrnohj wrote:
WhiteValkery wrote:
hmm... yeah...

um... but i am pretty sure that it is OLED...
i bought this laptop a few weeks ago during boxing day...
and thats what it says on the specs...
WhiteValkery wrote:

There are exactly 0 laptops with OLED displays on the market.

In fact, a 15 inch OLED TV is like $2,000. You don't have an OLED display.
What you have is an LED backlight (as opposed to a fluorescent backlight). What you definitely don't have is each pixel made up of a tiny OLED element. Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
WhiteValkery wrote:

There are exactly 0 laptops with OLED displays on the market.

In fact, a 15 inch OLED TV is like $2,000. You don't have an OLED display.

um... by OLED you mean organic LEDs right?
i dont know what you are talking about... but they already use those in devices as small as hand held cameras...

plus my laptop specs clearly states that... and you can kinda tell by comparing it with other laptops as well... the colors are a lot more vibrant and everything... also... its because of this comparison that i came to the conclusion that my screen seems to be a few times brighter than all my friends on lowest -.-

edit:
i did some more research... organic LCD screens are actually a lot cheaper to make than traditional once as well Shock

i though i got something cool... T.T but its cheaper lol

edit again XD:
apparently mine is weard... i dont know what it really is... -.-
since it still has a back light... -.-

WHAT THE HELL MAN!?

edit aggggaaaiinnn:
wahh... did you mean this!?:

nononononono....
my laptop is not THAT sweet lol...
it looks like a normal screen at first glance and everything...
but it just says that in the corner...
0.o

p.s. oh man... I AM SOO HAPPY! WE FINALLY HAVE TRANSPARENT SCREEN TECHNOLOGY!!!
WhiteValkery wrote:
um... by OLED you mean organic LEDs right?
i dont know what you are talking about... but they already use those in devices as small as hand held cameras...

Correct, some cell phones and such have them (most notably the Galaxy S line). We absolutely suck at making big OLED screens, though, which is why they top out at about 4", and even the Galaxy Tab at 7" doesn't have OLED. Too expensive at even 7" to mass produce.

Quote:
plus my laptop specs clearly states that...

No, it doesn't. Post your laptop model so we can all laugh at your inability to read.

Quote:
edit:
i did some more research... organic LCD screens are actually a lot cheaper to make than traditional once as well Shock

Bwahahahahaha, no, no they are not. *THEORETICALLY* they *COULD* be super cheap. But like I said above, we suck at making OLED bigger than ~4", and nobody is shipping an OLED laptop.

Quote:
apparently mine is weard... i dont know what it really is... -.-
since it still has a back light... -.-

It is a LCD back lit TN LCD panel. Isn't even a high quality LCD like *VA or IPS.
I want to see the package that says that it is an OLED, as well.
graphmastur wrote:
I want to see the package that says that it is an OLED, as well.

WELL!?
HERE IS A PICTURE I TOOK OF MY LAPTOP BOX!!

CLICK HERE TO SEE AND LOOSE!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Real mature, White Valkery. Razz Anyway, what did you decide about your brightness control software?
KermMartian wrote:
Real mature, White Valkery. Razz Anyway, what did you decide about your brightness control software?

lol it was all just a long evil plan of mine to get everyone interested and click the link XD

i mean seriously!
who can resiste the idea that an OLED laptop is actually out!

while at the same time skeptics will feel cheeky and think its something they can laugh at... but the joke is on them!!! XD

sigh... i am sooo awesome with long and useless plans rofl...
WhiteValkery wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

0x5 it was all just a long evil plan of mine to get everyone interested and click the link XD

This whole topic was to rick roll us? Confused
I doubt that. I'm enjoying what a waste of database space this topic is after I thought it was going to be a constructive one. Razz
WhiteValkery wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

0x5 it was all just a long evil plan of mine to get everyone interested and click the link XD

i mean seriously!
who can resiste the idea that an OLED laptop is actually out!

while at the same time skeptics will feel cheeky and think its something they can laugh at... but the joke is on them!!! XD

Not good. Mad Bad Idea
hey!
i got you all! XD

p.s. sorry Kerm... aboutt the database lol

p.p.s. come on... you guys have to admit that you never saw it coming XD
Yeah, but I would rather not even think that the next one of your topics or posts is going to be a scam to make us click a link. Am I allowed to delete the next post of yours that starts with some outrageous claim?

Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours