42%  [ 3 ]
Linux Mint
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fedora
 28%  [ 2 ]
Ubuntu Netbook Edition
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

What would be the best Linux distribution for a laptop with a Pentium M processor, 512mb RAM, and a 32GB hard drive? It has to run reasonably fast and also needs to have WiFi drivers. I was thinking of either Xubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, or Ubuntu Netbook edition, but I am willing to try others too.
Ubuntu I guess, it is the only linux OS that I would use.
Why is debian not listed?

With those specs, you're better off running Fluxbox or JWM.
qazz42 wrote:
Ubuntu I guess, it is the only linux OS that I would use.

I used that before, but that was too slow. Sad
allynfolksjr wrote:
Why is debian not listed?

With those specs, you're better off running Fluxbox or JWM.

I'll think about Debian, but I've never used it before. Can it be installed/run from a live CD/USB?
I've tried Mint, Xubuntu, and Fedora. Personally, I wouldn't know much for Xubuntu because I could never get it to even load on my desktop (256 mb of ram), I've even heard of Windows 7 running on 512 mb though. My personal vote would have to go to the Ubuntu Netbook edition, simply because I haven't tried it yet. I love the look and feel of Mint, and the number of programs for Ubuntu.
Ubuntu on a 512MB system and a M proc? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
oh, wait, I didnt look at the specs properly, ignore my last post
http://www.go2linux.org/installing-a-light-linux-operating-system-debian-fluxbox
allynfolksjr wrote:
http://www.go2linux.org/installing-a-light-linux-operating-system-debian-fluxbox

Thank you! Very Happy
IMO Xubuntu would be a nice choice. I've used it on a slower system (Celeron III) and worked great. It also has a benefit in form of a massive software repository.
Ubuntu Netbook Remix is godly on my EEEPC 901 netbook, which has a 1.6GHz Atom, a gig of RAM, and 28GB of storage among a 4GB primary SSD, a 16GB secondary SSD, and an 8GB SD card.
I installed the core of Ubuntu, and added Fluxbox, xterm, and Firefox.
souvik1997 wrote:
I installed the core of Ubuntu, and added Fluxbox, xterm, and Firefox.
Awesome! How is it running for you so far? How much of your drive is it taking?
It is taking less than 1GB of space so far, and I am having no problems with it other than my wifi network randomly disconnecting, though I think that is a problem with my router and not my laptop.

Edit: I find it funny that TiLP2 shows up in the Science->Mathematics section in Fluxbox. Laughing
A few I would recommend are Linux Mint, Salix OS and openSuSE. All have LXDE packages. LXDE is a very lightweight (but flexible and clean) desktop environment that's good for laptops and low-end PCs.
I tried LXDE, but I didn't like it as much as I like GNOME so I installed gnome-core and I have been very happy since then.
souvik1997 wrote:
It is taking less than 1GB of space so far, and I am having no problems with it other than my wifi network randomly disconnecting, though I think that is a problem with my router and not my laptop.

Edit: I find it funny that TiLP2 shows up in the Science->Mathematics section in Fluxbox. 0x5
Glad to hear it that everything is going fairly smoothly. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours