So I connected my AU476 bluetooth headset to my ASUS EeePC using an external USB bluetooth dongle(which uses the generic windows bluetooth enumerator), but I still get sound from my speakers and it still records using the in-built mic. Is there some secret to using a bluetooth headset like a PC headset, or is there special software I need to get?
Google it.
all that should be required is you telling windows to use the bluetooth devices as the default sound input and output devices.
TheStorm wrote:
all that should be required is you telling windows to use the bluetooth devices as the default sound input and output devices.

I tried that, all that appears in audio properties is my default audio devices.

allynfolksjr wrote:
Google it.

Tried that too...
Do you have Vista, 7 or XP?

Firstly, since it sounds like audio properties can't detect it, go into Device Manager and make sure it has drivers and is not reporting problems.

Check the manufactor's website for drivers or software?
I'm still running XP because that's what runs well on a netbook.

It connects through a bluetooth dongle that already has drivers installed, though it's currently using default windows drivers, not manufacturers' drivers, which I've heard bad things about.
I guess I'll check the manufacturers website next.
DShiznit wrote:
I'm still running XP because that's what runs well on a netbook.

It connects through a bluetooth dongle that already has drivers installed, though it's currently using default windows drivers, not manufacturers' drivers, which I've heard bad things about.
I guess I'll check the manufacturers website next.
I've had horrible luck with Bluetooth drivers on Windows in general, on XP and 7, Microsoft and manufacturer drivers alike. Sad
Why would you want to use bluetooth on a computer in the first place? It is not worth the trouble Sad
Because it would be cool to have an Uhura-esque device feeding me audio from my computer. I only paid 5$ for both dongles including shipping, so I'm not really out that much if I can't get it working. And I can still use them to network machines and phones if I want to.

EDIT- would this give me the functionality I'm looking for?
http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php
Does the Bluetooth headset appear in Device Manager under "Sound, video and game controllers"? If not, have you paired it with the computer (click Bluetooth icon in notication area, Add a Bluetooth device)?

In terms of being fed audio, most speech headsets have incredibly poor sound quality.
it synch's up fine, but I haven't checked sound, video and game controllers yet.
benryves wrote:
In terms of being fed audio, most speech headsets have incredibly poor sound quality.
My headset has fantastic audio quality. I stream my music via A2DP from my phone with amazing clarity, however the same song from my laptop via A2DP sounds horrid. The A2DP support on my TV is amazing, giving Stereo and I believe surround. But I haven't actually verified that with Googling or experiencing it (I have a stereo headset just for my TV).

But then again, my headset was 130$. So it'd better have good quality.
I said speech headsets, as in the units you use for chatting to people on mobile phones hands-free.
Quite so. My BlueAnt Q2 is just that, and was the "test subject" in the tests above. However, my TV now sends audio to a Bluetooth Receiver-Adapter from Sony. which I connect either Around Ear (AE) head phones with 40mm Drivers or a cheap set of ear-buds (EB) depending on where I am. AE's for lounging in a chair, EB's for laying in bed and watching TV.
I'm under the impression that Bluetooth headsets intended for chatting have extremely poor sound quality for music as a result of the Bluetooth bitrate used, not the quality of the hardware on either end. I'd be happy to be corrected if that is in error, though. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
I'm under the impression that Bluetooth headsets intended for chatting have extremely poor sound quality for music as a result of the Bluetooth bitrate used, not the quality of the hardware on either end. I'd be happy to be corrected if that is in error, though. Smile
I'd have to disagree. My headset has superb audio quality when streaming audio from any device accept my computer.
except*
comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I'd have to disagree. My headset has superb audio quality when streaming audio from any device accept my computer.
Then I'm utterly confused. Perhaps it just supports both the headset and A2DP profiles?
My headset does support A2DP, as mentioned prior. However, I just realized my laptop likely doesn't. After experiencing I'm not buying a bluetooth enabled device without A2DP; my next computer better have it! But I rarely use bluetooth on my computer for it not to matter.

But my phone, headset and TV's must have A2DP. I still can't get over the fact my TV natively supports bluetooth after a month of use x)

It's likely DShiznit's computer or headset doesn't support A2DP as the lower end headsets don't. But I don't see how that would affect the audio, as you can ear a phone call without A2DP. In-fact, some of the older & higher end headsets don't either. My old Aliph Jawbone II (99$ at the time) didn't support A2DP and it's been reduced to PS3 Duties.

Dshiznit, try looking into if your USB dongle supports A2DP, as well as your headset.
I have no intention of using any headset for music, as the music I listen to(daft punk) hates normal headset ranges, and requires expensive sound hardware to truly experience. I just want to be able to use my bluetooth for things like MagicJack, Steam chat, maybe emulators for 8-and-16-bit consoles.

I ask again, will that widcomm software I linked to give me the functionality I'm looking for? I've also acquired the latest version of Bluesoleil if that will work.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours