Anakclusmos wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
You're obviously just trying to save face; it is clear to me that you didn't realize that port 07 didn't set the RAM/ROM page mapped to $C000 through $FFFF. It's fine to admit when you made a mistake; I make mistake all the time. If you're going to have any hope of making any progress on a project of this magnitude and complexity, you should be listening to people with more experience than you (for example, calcdude) rather than trying to lecture them.

I do know what area each of these ports control, for gods sake I used them in my practice OS to make the BCALL routine Razz
It was just a mistype
I don't see how you can mistype claiming that port 07 controls $C000 to $FFFF. You were trying to argue that port 07 would let you break the execution limit for RAM, which corresponds to $C000 through $FFFF. There's no other port number that does what you're suggesting, so I don't know what you accidentally typoed as what else. I wish you'd just admit when you make a mistake and thank people for trying to help you. Sad May I see this practice OS of yours at some point?
I'm not gonna have 2 executing RAM pages, I'll just be using RAM page 0 to run programs so there is no 8000 byte limit and using RAM page 1 as memory locations like gbuf.
I think you are confusing RAM pages 0 and 1 again. (You can't execute on page 0)
So you'll use all of RAM page 1 for execution instead of just $9D95 to $BFFF like the TI-OS does.
Understood Smile
no, not understood.TIOS chooses not to use RAM page 0, I have a choice and I say RAM page 0 Mad

Then again, why dont I just swap RAM page 1 into memory bank A. RAM = $4000. Problem solved.

Kerm, for 1 I dont remember specifically saying the port 7 controlled the pages swapped in to $C000-$FFFF. The talk about $C000 was about the limit to executable and me talking about using port 7 had to do with wikiti saying that $C000 was the limit if an even numbered RAM page is swapped in memory bank b. if RAM page 1 is even then RAM page 0 is odd.IU wasnt stating you controlling whats in address $C000-$FFFF
Then I misunderstood you and you misunderstood yourself. Anyway, may I take a look at your practice OS at some point? I would love to see how it works.
1 is an odd number, and 0 is an even one. Same for the RAM pages.
And it has to do with the $C000-$FFFF bank, not bank B:
Quote:
The calculator will crash if PC is greater than or equal to C000, provided an even-numbered RAM page is swapped in the upper bank. This is the default (page 80h). This is where the 8kb limit comes from. Seems like an imposed hardware constraint.
How about this for running progs:

Step 1: swap in a ROM page to Memory Bank B containing the program executing routine and call it
Step 2: the program executing routine moves RAM page 1 into the Memory Bank A and executes it
Step 3: the appropriate ROM page is put back in Memory Bank 1 and jumped to a refresh routine
Step 4: the refresh routine puts RAM page 0 into Memory Bank B

RAM page 0 would by default be in memory bank B and for progs, RAM would start at $4000

The practice os is the My OS I've been talking about, the one that's supposed to have backwards compat for TIOS, ION, MOS, and DCS. As of right now, its nothing more than routines.

If I learned to write I could solve sooooooo many issues... Razz
Well, let's have the .8xu for the OS, then! Any OS or shell or program is nothing more than routines. Razz
Alrighty then, I'll leave now, and by tomorrow you'll have yourself a ROM and 8XU. Cya!
Anakclusmos wrote:
Alrighty then, I'll leave now, and by tomorrow you'll have yourself a ROM and 8XU. Cya!
Sounds good, I look forward to it. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
It's fine to admit when you made a mistake; I make mistake all the time.

mistakes* Smile

I had to do it...
BrandonW wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
It's fine to admit when you made a mistake; I make mistake all the time.

mistakes* Smile

I had to do it...
Thanks for pointing that out, BrandonW. See? I made a mistake right there.
Well, last night I added a splash screen and made a simple DOS like interface whose only command was OFF.This morning, I figured that was just childish and decided to recreate the DCS-like gui I used in EchoOS.For some odd reason though, the RenderGUI routine keeps exitting without drawing the items so I'm still working on that. To tell the truth, creating the gui stack is actually a lot easier in an OS, you dont have to allocate memory and search for variables and whatnot.Some of the routines are a bit different though...

GUIStack - the variable where the location of the gui stack is stored. I figured it'd be a good idea to allow you to change the location of the stack.
CreateGUIStack - creates the gui stack at HL
OpenGUIStack - changes the location of the gui stack to HL
PushGUIStack - adds an item to the stack
PushGUIStacks - adds multiple items to the stack
PopGUIStack- removes the last item from the stack
PopGUIStacks - removes multiple items from the stack
GUIFindFirst - finds the data of the first item in the stack
GUIFindNext - finds the next item in the stack
GUIFindLast - finds the last item in the stack
RenderGUI - renders the gui stack to the screen

I should be able to post the demo link by midnight though.
Anakclusmos wrote:
Well, last night I added a splash screen and made a simple DOS like interface whose only command was OFF.This morning, I figured that was just childish and decided to recreate the DCS-like gui I used in EchoOS.For some odd reason though, the RenderGUI routine keeps exitting without drawing the items so I'm still working on that. To tell the truth, creating the gui stack is actually a lot easier in an OS, you dont have to allocate memory and search for variables and whatnot.Some of the routines are a bit different though...

GUIStack - the variable where the location of the gui stack is stored. I figured it'd be a good idea to allow you to change the location of the stack.
CreateGUIStack - creates the gui stack at HL
OpenGUIStack - changes the location of the gui stack to HL
PushGUIStack - adds an item to the stack
PushGUIStacks - adds multiple items to the stack
PopGUIStack- removes the last item from the stack
PopGUIStacks - removes multiple items from the stack
GUIFindFirst - finds the data of the first item in the stack
GUIFindNext - finds the next item in the stack
GUIFindLast - finds the last item in the stack
RenderGUI - renders the gui stack to the screen

I should be able to post the demo link by midnight though.

I noticed you completely ignored this post:

KermMartian wrote:
Anakclusmos wrote:
Sounds good, I look forward to it. Smile
by midnight = today

it will be released before tomorrow
Anakclusmos wrote:
by midnight = today

it will be released before tomorrow

I think you completely missed what OS he was talking about, here is a direct quote from up the page a bit.

KermMartian wrote:
Then I misunderstood you and you misunderstood yourself. Anyway, may I take a look at your practice OS at some point? I would love to see how it works.
either way, at least there will be something to show
What GUI elements does it support? And where's the mouse? The rendering is the trivial part; it's the layering and mouse interaction that's the killer. Smile
I havent done the mouse yet, less than 24 hours doesnt give me alot of time to do much.Anyway,heres a copy of the entire kit I use, coming with the source, compiler, emu, rom, and .8xu.

http://www.usaupload.net/d/qxbt4dcf88f
ROM? Unless it's clean of TI's code (no boot code) you shouldn't have it in there.
I'll look at it in a bit.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours