21%  [ 3 ]
David's Journey
 7%  [ 1 ]
David's Quest
 50%  [ 7 ]
David's Tale
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

everything. is there a tutorial to making an RPG like this?
adamac15 wrote:
umm......i guess Graphscreen.
The downside, though, is that the graphscreen is harder (and slower) to use. Smile
what about homescreen?
adamac15 wrote:
what about homescreen?
Well, it's easier, it takes much less memory to store sprites and maps, and it's faster, but the graphics you can use are less complex, as Souvik correctly mentioned.
well i guess i can do homescreen
adamac15 wrote:
well i guess i can do homescreen
Very good, then what else would you like us to tell you? Perhaps I can point you to a few such games so you can take a look at how they work?
well, i need to make some maps.
Adamac, I just recently made a simple RPG (that is still incomplete - have to finish those last 8 levels some time 0_0 ), and what I learned is that the core of the entire game is the movement/battle part. Everything else is small fluff on the side that is very easily changed to fit your *possibly* changing desires for the game.

Tifreak8x has a movement/collision detection tutorial on his website (under Tutorials/83+/BASIC/TI-freakware's BASIC Tutorials) that is what helped me understand how everything worked.

I personally suggest starting with that (and working through all the BASIC tutorials on TI-freak's website), as it will greatly increase your knowledge of BASIC while slowly building your RPG into what you want it to be.
Ill try to check it out sometime. But im going to make this RPG short (being my first one) then make a 2nd one that is longer.

Ive planned out all of the game already. all i need is to know how to make maps and the like.

I need to learn this................ Exclamation Ill be glad when i can learn this. Once its stuck in my head, itll be nothing. But until then.....im stuck.
adamac15 wrote:
Ill try to check it out sometime. But im going to make this RPG short (being my first one) then make a 2nd one that is longer.

Ive planned out all of the game already. all i need is to know how to make maps and the like.

I need to learn this................ Exclamation Ill be glad when i can learn this. Once its stuck in my head, itll be nothing. But until then.....im stuck.
ยด

For an RPG, I would consider:

1. Making Sprites;
2. Making Map and Character Moving Engine;
3. Make enemies random appearance engine;
4. Make Battle Engine;
5. Add stuff like bosses, better graphs, credits, title screen.

The second one is definetely the hardest one (for me).
Which way is the best way to do all of this?
adamac15 wrote:
Which way is the best way to do all of this?
I'd start with one of the first two items, namely making sprites or designing your maps, then simply building an engine to display the maps. Then you can add map scrolling, then a main character and movement, then interaction and events, etc.
engine? i already have the maps planned out. Where do i make them?
adamac15 wrote:
engine? i already have the maps planned out. How do i make them?

A "engine" is basically a routine to do something, like display maps. To display your maps, you'll want to parse the matrix or list you're storing the map in, and use sub() and Output() to display your map on the screen.
so just like 1's and 0's in random places until you see the map you want to use?
No.

Here is some code that *should* work for displaying maps only containing numbers (0-9) (note: untested)

This requires a matrix with a height of 8 and a width of 16

Code:
For(X,1,dim([A])(1)
For(Y,1,dim([A])(2)
Output(X,Y,[A](X,Y
End
End

You should change this code to better match your needs Smile.
i cant test it right now. dont have any new batteries.
adamac15 wrote:
so just like 1's and 0's in random places until you see the map you want to use?
Hardly random. And you can use many different values (not just 0 and 1) to represent different terrain, obstacles, NPCs, objects that you can pick up, structures, treasures, enemies, all kinds of things.
k i have a question... im making a sample pic of the main menu (which i will load a screenshot of), and i was wondering if i could make it work in the game? like have an arrow beside the options to select it?
You use the getKey command to move the arrow based on what the user pressed.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours