Can you create a fun arcade game with a high replay value in TI-BASIC? (if you're not Kerm!)
Yes!
 73%  [ 11 ]
Yes, but it takes too long to code.
 6%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but the filesize is enormous.
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but the speed sucks.
 6%  [ 1 ]
Maybe.
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

The ACTUAL loop:

Code:

For(θ,1,12
5<randInt(1,6→L₁(θ
End
c.sprinkle wrote:
The ACTUAL loop:

Code:

For(θ,1,12
5<randInt(1,6→L₁(θ
End
The ACTUAL unlooped, optimized version:

Code:
5<6rand(12→L₁
I suppose you guys haven't seen Homescreen Game Pack, one of my projects right now: http://ourl.ca/4491

I believe you will find something to satisfy everyone in it. Smile
Sorry, but the program's not really faster. Any other options? Is one of the other sprite mechanisms faster?
c.sprinkle wrote:
Sorry, but the program's not really faster. Any other options? Is one of the other sprite mechanisms faster?
No sprite mechanism is super-fast, but you should consider drawing a tilemap to save yourself that loop.
How?
c.sprinkle wrote:
How?
As I mentioned in your other topic (you really should start a thread specifically for this new project, I think), the Third Party Libraries sections of the Doors CS SDK PDF should be your first point of reference with this kind of question, but I'll give you a push in the right direction:
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=BasicLibs:DrawTileMap
I believe that I could make just about any game in basic. The problem is that some people do not like basic programs. they
usually contain lists. I
Well, BASIC as a language does have its limitations. For example, try making a real-time raycasted Doom game. It's just not going to happen. But you're right in that the language is surprisingly powerful.
basicman wrote:
I believe that I could make just about any game in basic. The problem is that some people do not like basic programs. they usually contain lists. I
I don't think lists on their own necessary are the problem; I think a more general complaint is that some BASIC programmers treat each project as if it's the only program that's on the users calculator, and rampage over strings and pictures and lists. Even if a programmer tries to be considerate, there's still a tiny number of resources available. I do agree though that anything is possible, just not necessarily at a sane speed.
KermMartian wrote:
basicman wrote:
I believe that I could make just about any game in basic. The problem is that some people do not like basic programs. they usually contain lists. I
I don't think lists on their own necessary are the problem; I think a more general complaint is that some BASIC programmers treat each project as if it's the only program that's on the users calculator, and rampage over strings and pictures and lists. Even if a programmer tries to be considerate, there's still a tiny number of resources available. I do agree though that anything is possible, just not necessarily at a sane speed.

Not everything is possible, try making a TI-Basic game that uses the ON button as its only controls. Wink
I did not mean that it would function the same. But you could get enjoyment.
I have not played an asm game or used a shell that did not cause problems. Tetris archived all my programs and I lost everything.
basicman wrote:
I have not played an asm game or used a shell that did not cause problems. Tetris archived all my programs and I lost everything.

You can't use the on button in any BASIC game, as that will break it, nothing can be done with that button in pure BASIC.
basicman wrote:

I assume you meant that Tetris caused you to lose all your programs? If they're archived, nothing should happen to them... Confused
they where not archived normally. they said they where archived but they where not and I could not run anything
basicman wrote:
Have you tried Doors CS, my shell, at all? I've spent many, many years working to make sure that the shell itself is stable and reliable, although I of course can't do anything about bugs in ASM programs.
Actually I don't think lists and variables are a problem since you are able to use Xlib and other libraries to "extend" the number of pictures, strings. Plus lists aren't a big problem because the TI-OS lets you give a list a custom name upto 5 characters long, so thats just about over 60466176 different possible names for lists alone. If there is one valid complaint for BASIC programs is that its slow, and sadly we are limited to a ti 84 calculator and not a computer.
Let's see, the first char has to be a letter or theta, then the remainder can be letters or numbers or the end: 27*(38^4) = 56,298,672 possible list names. Hmm, where did you get 60 million from? I must have missed a possibility or two (or four million). I agree that xLIB/Celtic III/DCS7 help in this regard, but when you're writing pure shell-less BASIC, life is not so convenient. Smile
Quote:
Let's see, the first char has to be a letter or theta, then the remainder can be letters or numbers or the end: 27*(38^4) = 56,298,672 possible list names. Hmm, where did you get 60 million from? I must have missed a possibility or two (or four million). I agree that xLIB/Celtic III/DCS7 help in this regard, but when you're writing pure shell-less BASIC, life is not so convenient.

hmmmm you're right Kerm.
I think I included the numbers 1-10 for the first character of the list name. Very Happy But then again why would you write a pure shell-less basic program when you have acess to tools like xlib/dcslib/celtic ?
Well, I was once stubborn enough that I claimed that Hybrid BASIC programs were something of an abomination, and I really believed it, but in hindsight I think I was probably jealous of the cool things that Hybrid could do that I couldn't do myself in Pure.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours