Zera wrote:
Curious. I didn't realize multiple-monitor setups were suddenly popular. I bet it provides for an efficient development environment, though.
Hey, I've been rocking multi-monitors since I've had the resources and/or money for it. Smile I built a tri-monitor setup near the end of sophomore year, where my laptop was the center monitor, it drove the left monitor, and a discrete miniATX board drove the right monitor. I used Synergy to map it together. Then at the end of Junior year, I built a 4x17" LCD setup, then later upgraded to 3x 22" LCD. I added my old and new tablets as two more LCDs above that row, and eventually a sixth LCD (a 17"er) on the top of the pyramid. Unfortunately, those have long since been disbanded; my home setup is the 4x 22" LCD that you see here. I always extol its virtues forbeing able to spread code, documentation, and tests across a big workspace without having to continually alt-tab back and fortth.
I have been rocking dual monitors for a long long time. Though usually it's also dual computers. But seeing how I maintain at least one shared folder, it's like having one workflow. Not only that, but recently I had been forced back to one monitor ( and a small one at that! 1024x768 ) and have been edging for more space. Now I have dual monitors, plus I can ( in theory ) use my iPod as a sort of 3rd display ( if I paid for a particular piece of software ) and I have a shelf for my netbook which I use a synergy-like program to transfer mouse and keyboard control. Which is a 3rd larger display, or a 4th display, however you count it. And I am sure I could get my phone in on the action with aforementioned paid-for software.

That being said. I don't know what I would do with that much space. I do know on my netbook I often ran LEGO Digital Designer and Chrome, though in a 1024x600 screen, that is a tight squeeze. And I also used the netbook for an internet radio deal. But I am sure I could find uses for a lot of displays. Yeah.

Also, I am guilty of being one of those people that just uses their desktop as a sort of drop-off for files to sort into folders later. It's usually covered by windows and I usually just open a finder window in list-view to pick out what I need anyway. So it works for me. I like organized clutter.
I have a good friend and colleague who is otherwise very organized and strict, long strong passwords for everything, etc, but has a tendency to clutter his desktop with just about every file he creates. I think there's two peaks in the the techie/programmer desktop organization, one at barren and one at cluttered, with not a lot of people in between.
CDI wrote:
Also, I am guilty of being one of those people that just uses their desktop as a sort of drop-off for files to sort into folders later. It's usually covered by windows and I usually just open a finder window in list-view to pick out what I need anyway. So it works for me. I like organized clutter.
I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new

I like to keep my computer desktop as clean as possible. The only thing I usually have on my desktop are screen shots my OS saves to the desktop by default and a few photos I need to access rather quickly then delete, where copying them to my "Pictures" directory will (1) be hard to find the file in with all the other clutter and (2) will never get deleted.
@Ben What is the Visual C# DOOM file out of curiosity?

I'll post desktop pics when I get home Smile
comicIDIOT wrote:
CDI wrote:
I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new

I like to keep my computer desktop as clean as possible. The only thing I usually have on my desktop are screen shots my OS saves to the desktop by default and a few photos I need to access rather quickly then delete, where copying them to my "Pictures" directory will (1) be hard to find the file in with all the other clutter and (2) will never get deleted.
I think I'd probably still have a folder in Pictures called Screenshots and have the OS dump everything there, personally.
I decided to try something more robust with my desktop:

I figured enabling Windows' theming service wouldn't kill too much RAM. Razz
Zera wrote:

I figured enabling Windows' theming service wouldn't kill too much RAM. Razz
That looks great, Zera! Very nice choice of desktop background.
Zera wrote:

I figured enabling Windows' theming service wouldn't kill too much RAM. :P

I use the same background as well. Along with a couple of others that look similar.
_player1537 wrote:
@Ben What is the Visual C# DOOM file out of curiosity?

It was a little project to learn Managed DirectX, rendering DOOM levels (journal, screenshots). When I learned XNA I naturally decided to move on to Quake. Smile
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11832443/Screenies/Screenshot.png

Smile It might take a minute to load to the dropbox server.

@ben, awesome Very Happy
Did you each find it/them on DeviantArt, Google Image search, or another source? I think the majority of my desktops recently have been Google Image Search followed by GIMP; it's one of the few places I can find images that are at least 40MP / 7170 pixels wide.
KermMartian wrote:
Did you each find it/them on DeviantArt, Google Image search, or another source? I think the majority of my desktops recently have been Google Image Search followed by GIMP; it's one of the few places I can find images that are at least 40MP / 7170 pixels wide.

KermM, I like going to wallbase.net
Also has an option for including SFW, semi-NSFW, or NSFW wallpapers, for when you're in the office or in class.
http://rpfileserv.wdfiles.com/local--files/start/rpdesk.png

Edit by Merth: Seriously people, smaller images...
Most of mine come serendipitously. I've had the one I have now (or a similar variation) for quite some time, but I used to chage every month or so.
That's some great web design! Very clean, very nice navigation, and most importantly, a great selection. Thanks for that, Mufin.

Edit by Merth: The next image that's too big is just going to get deleted (;
This is my current one for the day. I have mine set up to switch every day.
link
Oh neat, I do the little triangle thing with my icons, too!
http://tinyurl.com/375b7oo
http://tinyurl.com/33zdpe5
http://tinyurl.com/36jwpws
http://tinyurl.com/387g276
http://tinyurl.com/3ydwzyd

Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 21
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours