I am working on an Axe project. I can handle all but two things. Number one, I need to know how to assign identifier bytes to a variable (appvar). Then I need to know how to check the appvar for those bytes. I'm looking for the similar system that Kerm Martian's DocDE7 uses to ID document files.
Why don't you just learn ASM and write a Doors CS ASM program using AP features for your text editor? Smile
I'm actually looking at a Slide creation utility (that uses appvars as files) (similar to PowerPoint) and then a viewer program. Learning asm would take too long. And this has nothing to do with the shell project.
ACagliano wrote:
I'm actually looking at a Slide creation utility (that uses appvars as files) (similar to PowerPoint) and then a viewer program. Learning asm would take too long. And this has nothing to do with the shell project.
Ah, that makes sense. So why not just store in the upper picture variables, then?
Cuz, using a picture, I have a limit. Within an appvar, I can have unlimited *screen*saves, bounded only by available Archive space (and RAM, when file is being read). All I have to do is have a *pause byte* that tells the calc to wait for a predestined time (or keypress) before advancing to the next screen.
Makes sense. To answer your original question, there's no special mechanism for the identifier bytes. You just try to pick something weird enough or long enough that it wouldn't normally be at the start of a program, and use that. Then you can assume that any program or appvar that starts with that is a file for your program.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours