I have a Sony Vaio Laptop (possible E class, not sure) that came with Windows 7. All OS's after Vista disabled the Stereo mix recording option to combat piracy. I need to get it in order to do a project for school. People have said enter sound hardware, right click, and then click Show disabled devices, and this yields no results, it adds nothing new. Other said update your sound drivers, which I did without avail.
So, how do you get Stereo Mix (sometimes called What U Hear) on a Vaio laptop pre-installed with Windows 7?
I've used Audacity on Windows 7 to record stereo from my calculator (see the following video), but that was recording from Line In. You might have to just use an audio patch cable to connect Line Out and Line In in order to do this, which ruins the quality, but if it's legitimate content for a school project, that shouldn't matter.

The thing is I need great quality, as it is a project about sound. Of course it's legitimate and stuff, but I had another person tell me if I took an audio-to-audio (that's what he said) jack and put one end in my microphone port and one in my headphone port, it should get a new option.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
The thing is I need great quality, as it is a project about sound. Of course it's legitimate and stuff, but I had another person tell me if I took an audio-to-audio (that's what he said) jack and put one end in my microphone port and one in my headphone port, it should get a new option.
It's not going to give you a new option; Line In should already be an option. You might actually be SOL here unless you're willing to use Linux or something. :/
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
All OS's after Vista disabled the Stereo mix recording option to combat piracy.
Do you have a source for that? The "stereo mix" recording device is offered by the sound card drivers (hence the hideous "What U Hear" name on Creative cards). Whether it's there or not is down to your drivers, not Windows itself.

Quote:
Other said update your sound drivers, which I did without avail.
Which sound card do you have? The integrated one on my desktop had some features that were switched off by default (such as the ability to preview incoming sound from the line in/microphone sockets) but which could be enabled by editing the registry.

Quote:
So, how do you get Stereo Mix (sometimes called What U Hear) on a Vaio laptop pre-installed with Windows 7?
If you want "What U Hear", you could always use a Creative sound card; I have an X-Fi Go!, and that works just fine.
Kerm: I get that a lot, but the program I am using that needs to be recorded is Windows only.

benryves: I don't have a source for my comment, try googleing "how to enable stereo mix vista" or similar, and I found a forum post where someone asked why it was gone in Vista, and the reply was to fight piracy issues where people would record youtube videos and such.

Here is my computer, the sound card should be listed somewhere.

Unfortunately, buying a new card is out of the question.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
I found a forum post where someone asked why it was gone in Vista, and the reply was to fight piracy issues where people would record youtube videos and such.
I don't think Microsoft would really be bothered by people making poor-quality recordings that way (why not just rip the video directly), and the fact that it's still working fine on Creative's cards (and Creative are not exactly a small company) makes me doubt that very much.

Quote:
Here is my computer, the sound card should be listed somewhere.

Unfortunately, buying a new card is out of the question.
That's a little vague - what's the vendor and product ID? (You can find these in Device Manager) This will also tell you which driver you are using - Microsoft's cheap and cheerful HD Audio driver doesn't expose stereo mix, but the one from your manufacturer may, if the hardware supports it. According to the Sony support site, it's a Realtek device, so you could try the Realtek driver.
I was doubting that about Microsoft too, but it doesn't matter why it is gone by default on some cards.

Under Sounds I have Intel(R) Display Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio.
As for vendor and product Id, I can't find them. I am quite used to control panel stuff on XP and 2000.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
I was doubting that about Microsoft too, but it doesn't matter why it is gone by default on some cards.

Under Sounds I have Intel(R) Display Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio.
As for vendor and product Id, I can't find them. I am quite used to control panel stuff on XP and 2000.
Go to the Device Manager, right-click on your card or chipset in Sound, video and game controllers, choose Properties, and go to the Details tab.
This reveals nothing save a description for both, the drop-down menu brings me to unrelated things.

Edit: Ya know what, can someone throw me a driver that has it, It might be compatible.
The "Driver" tab will tell you which driver you have installed and who wrote it (is this Microsoft? If so, that may be your issue, try the Realtek driver instead). The "Details" tab will allow you to see the hardware IDs (for example, my "High Definition Audio" card has an ID of "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_102801DD&REV_1002", which identifies it as a Sigmatel part).
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
This reveals nothing save a description for both, the drop-down menu brings me to unrelated things.

Edit: Ya know what, can someone throw me a driver that has it, It might be compatible.
We can't really link you to anything without knowing what kind of device it is, though. Razz
I did previously link you to a Realtek driver on Sony's site, but as I don't have the same Realtek sound chip in my computer I can't tell you whether it will do what you need or not.
It is provided by Realtek but published and signed by Microsoft.

Sorry, ninja'd.

I already have that driver, as I alluded to but never mentioned in my original post.

These are compatible with Intel(R) Display Audio

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_3B56&VEN_8086&DEV_2804&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&VEN_8086&DEV_2804&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2804&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_3B56&VEN_8086&DEV_2804
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&VEN_8086&DEV_2804
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2804
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_3B56&VEN_8086
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&VEN_8086
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_3B56
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&GF&VEN_8086&DEV_2804&SUBSYS_104D4600&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
It is provided by Realtek but published and signed by Microsoft.

Sorry, ninja'd.

I already have that driver, as I alluded to but never mentioned in my original post.

These are compatible with Intel(R) Display Audio

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_3B56&VEN_8086&DEV_2804&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&VEN_8086&DEV_2804&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2804&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_3B56&VEN_8086&DEV_2804
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&VEN_8086&DEV_2804
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2804
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_3B56&VEN_8086
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&VEN_8086
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&GF&VEN_8086&DEV_2804&SUBSYS_104D4600&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01

Thats your HDMI port which doesn't help us, we need the realtek card.
/me facepalms... My expertise is not sound.

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_3B56&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_3B56&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_3B56&VEN_10EC
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&VEN_10EC
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&GF&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_104D4600&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01

Those are from the Realtek, but they look equivalent.
Then you're probably out of luck, unless you can find an updated driver (assuming the hardware supports this feature in the first place). A cable between the line out and line in may do the trick, but if you've only got a microphone socket it's likely to be quite tricky to get any decent quality out of it. Only one way to find out...

Realtek has some drivers on their site, but as they mention they may be missing the Sony-specific customisations.

This thread may also provide some enlightenment. Or not.
Thanks for the help, I must be out of luck. Everyone else doing this project have old computers (that they think are new, wtf) and I am the only one that has this problem. I'll keep this thread updated for googlers to find a solution, if I ever find it.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Thanks for the help, I must be out of luck. Everyone else doing this project have old computers (that they think are new, wtf) and I am the only one that has this problem. I'll keep this thread updated for googlers to find a solution, if I ever find it.
Sounds good, I look forward to seeing what you discover. What about the Linux option? I think you said that you triple-boot?
I did, in face I quad-booted, but I moved those to a partitioned flash drive. I have ubuntu left on my computer, but alas it had those sound issues, and still does.

Edit: downloaded and installed Realtek driver from their website with no effect.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours