Kllrnohj wrote:
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Hey, check this one out:

Take: 1<sup>st</sup> 2<sup>nd</sup> 3<sup>rd</sup>
Changes the numerals to A: ast and ard
rearange spaces: a standard

all other ordinal numbers end in th, so could this be deliberate?

No, that is called looking for meaning where there is none. Also, the choice of changing numbers to "a" is an arbitrary decision on your part. Do 1 = a, 2 = b, 3 = c, and you end up with nothing.
Indeed. Xeno, did you come up with that idea yourself, or did you copy/paste it from some other website?
oh cool... never noticed that!
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Hey, check this one out:

Take: 1<sup>st</sup> 2<sup>nd</sup> 3<sup>rd</sup>
Changes the numerals to A: ast and ard
rearange spaces: a standard

all other ordinal numbers end in th, so could this be deliberate?

No, that is called looking for meaning where there is none. Also, the choice of changing numbers to "a" is an arbitrary decision on your part. Do 1 = a, 2 = b, 3 = c, and you end up with nothing.
Indeed. Xeno, did you come up with that idea yourself, or did you copy/paste it from some other website?

notced it by myself, which is why I wondered if it was deliberate on the part of those who chose the ordinal numbers
I seriously doubt that anyone "chose" the ordinal numerals; I'm sure they evolved out of usage and language. You're displaying the classical human mind's obsession with finding and identifying patterns, even when there are no patterns to be found. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
I seriously doubt that anyone "chose" the ordinal numerals; I'm sure they evolved out of usage and language. You're displaying the classical human mind's obsession with finding and identifying patterns, even when there are no patterns to be found. Smile

Okay.
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Okay.
I did some searching on the history of English ordinal numerals just now without much success, other than finding some sources that suggested Roman Numerals as the culprit, and one interesting comparison of ordinal formation in different languages.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours