25%  [ 2 ]
whats starcraft?
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

anyone here excited about starcraft 2?

i am kinda excited about it...

though the game is a bit unbalanced...

excited?
I've only played original Starcraft a couple of times, but I'm a huge fan of Blizzard's newer entries in the Warcraft series of RTSes, so I'm planning to get it when I have some spare income.
My main exposure to Starcraft has been all the kids at Cooper Union that constantly occupy all the computer center computers, playing Starcraft 1 instead of doing their work or letting other people use the (very few) computers to do work. I tried playing once or twice, but I recall being quite bad at it, so I'll stick to FPSes for now, as well as the occasional RTS round of Age of Empires or Railroads.
KermMartian wrote:
My main exposure to Starcraft has been all the kids at Cooper Union that constantly occupy all the computer center computers, playing Starcraft 1 instead of doing their work or letting other people use the (very few) computers to do work. I tried playing once or twice, but I recall being quite bad at it, so I'll stick to FPSes for now, as well as the occasional RTS round of Age of Empires or Railroads.

I've found with RTSes it helps to start off learning the game with people close to your skill level, or teaming with more advanced players against a computer player. I'm not sure if SC1 supports that though. Playing through campaigns definitely helped my WC3 game the most though.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I've found with RTSes it helps to start off learning the game with people close to your skill level, or teaming with more advanced players against a computer player. I'm not sure if SC1 supports that though. Playing through campaigns definitely helped my WC3 game the most though.

yeah... of course it supports it...

a lot of people still think starcraft 1 is better then starcraft 2 and is the world's top RTS...

just look at Korea lol
I love SC1 and 2, especially the later, altough as Schoolhacker said, it could use some balancing. I mean, my opponent had full of carriers maxed out and my zergling swarm, which was not even half of my unit cap, could still take out his 3 bases in 90 seconds.

I am happy that with SC2 they did not do the same mistake they did with Warcraft 3. In WC2 and SC1 it took about 30-60 seconds to build something and in SC2 around 25-50, but in WC3 it took nearly 4 minutes! A lot of people I know dislike WC3 because everything is slower-paced than the previous Blizzard RTSes and most people I know who play it only play custom games.

One thing I hope is that Starcraft 2 final version will not require a monthly fee to play on Battle.Net, like WoW.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
I love SC1 and 2, especially the later, altough as Schoolhacker said, it could use some balancing. I mean, my opponent had full of carriers maxed out and my zergling swarm, which was not even half of my unit cap, could still take out his 3 bases in 90 seconds.

I am happy that with SC2 they did not do the same mistake they did with Warcraft 3. In WC2 and SC1 it took about 30-60 seconds to build something and in SC2 around 25-50, but in WC3 it took nearly 4 minutes! A lot of people I know dislike WC3 because everything is slower-paced than the previous Blizzard RTSes and most people I know who play it only play custom games.

One thing I hope is that Starcraft 2 final version will not require a monthly fee to play on Battle.Net, like WoW.

yeah... i agree with everything you said there...

also... Blizzard already announced that they will never put a monthly fee on Starcraft 2 Good Idea
DJ Omnimaga wrote:

Is this ROC or FT and what was the game speed set at? I can't think of any units that take 4 minutes to build, even at medium speed. Granted, the 100-food unit cap can be annoyingly low if you're playing a map with heavy duty mercenaries (read: dragons), but that too serves to increase the rate of play.

Either way, I'm excited for SC2.
elfprince13 wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:

Is this ROC or FT and what was the game speed set at? I can't think of any units that take 4 minutes to build, even at medium speed. Granted, the 100-food unit cap can be annoyingly low if you're playing a map with heavy duty mercenaries (read: dragons), but that too serves to increase the rate of play.

Either way, I'm excited for SC2.
Frozen Throne and game was set at max speed. And yeah I wish they made the unit cap 200 or something. Even in SC 200 isn't a lot IMHO x.x
Curious. Do you know what unit it was off the top of your head?
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

That sounds like it would be a good idea, although I'll admit I don't have too much impetus to do so.
Probably best not to compound any existing video game addictions Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
Oh I was talking about buildings. Sorry for the confusion. It was the Tree of Live or something. Both upgrades and building took around 4 minutes. In Starcraft most command center-based buildings took around 40-50 seconds to build.

Btw I liked Warcraft III. It's just the slowness that irked me, kinda. Near my final days of WC3 I decided to just play money maps instead
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Oh I was talking about buildings. Sorry for the confusion. It was the Tree of Live or something. Both upgrades and building took around 4 minutes. In Starcraft most command center-based buildings took around 40-50 seconds to build.

Btw I liked Warcraft III. It's just the slowness that irked me, kinda. Near my final days of WC3 I decided to just play money maps instead

Ever get into DotA? It's one of my preferred time killers nowadays, usually playing as Medusa or Razor.
Not yet. I really need to give it a try at one point, though.
Starcraft 2 sucks.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Starcraft 2 sucks.

Confused
I know this is resurrecting a dead topic, but if anyone wants to form a 2v2 squad my battle.net name is Bombadil. I was doing pretty well working my way up through a bronze league with a friend (really only played RTSes in a LAN setting before, so getting used to the relatively fixed build orders and everything else that comes with league play), but he's dropped out of SC2 world.
I suppose he dropped out because the time commitment needed for SC2 was more than his school/work/life allowed? Smile I'm afraid (well, relieved, to be honest) that I don't play, but good luck finding people.
KermMartian wrote:
I suppose he dropped out because the time commitment needed for SC2 was more than his school/work/life allowed? Smile I'm afraid (well, relieved, to be honest) that I don't play, but good luck finding people.

Mostly I think he got frustrated with losing in his 1v1 league after he got bumped up to Gold. I'd think an RTS would be more up your alley than an FPS as your video-game addiction of choice, since I find them to be much more stimulating of the brain-muscles. But to each his own I suppose.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours