I am trying to use an assembly program on a TI-calc to perform the following tasks, in this sequence:

1. prompt for a name (stored in Ans)
2. create a new program with the name you entered in Step 1, where the program's source code is obtained from Str1.

Is this possible? I have actually done very asm programming, so I haven't the slightest clue where to start.

The program needs to be able to work on a TI-83+, and any TI-84.

And, is it possible, somehow, to get " and -> INSIDE a string or to write an asm program to make the conversion once the above program creation is done?
This is all possible; the first two steps are relatively easy, and it's fairly trivial to write an ASM program to put " and -> into strings as well (although keep in mind that once you do so, you'll no longer be able to edit your strings with the TI-OS. I have to run at the moment, but I'll be happy to help you code up the first part later, unless another Cemetech asm programmer beats me to it.
thanks. Let me actually explain my idea. I am working on designing a program (and possibly converting it to an APP at some point) that allows all calc users the same functionality that us programmers have. The program will essentially display prompts to the user, asking for data about certain things they want to do, in a language they understand--English. As they are entering that, behind the scenes, the program is writing the TI-Basic code into Str1. Then, the the two steps I discuss above.

Or: another idea:

I'll rewrite the entire language in English and use a library (similar to the TASM on-calc compiler).

For example the user would type something like this directly into the program editor.

prgmEnglish

:Display [simple] "Hello"
:3=A

The library for those two commands would look like this:

Display [simple]: Disp
=:->

and an asm program would need to be able to read prgmEnglish and convert it to

Disp "Hello"
3->A

Whatever of the two ideas would be easier, though I tend to think that rewriting the entire language and using a library would be somewhat less confusing.
this would be fairly easy, although a bit tedious, to make using just a program to take inputs(i.e. input ":",str1), a look-up table prog containing each of your possible inputs and what it equates to in basic, and iambian's application celtic III, which allows reading from and writing to basic from within another basic prog(although it would probably be more convenient for the user if you were to use your own asm[in which case you should go to Kerm for help because i still suck too much to be useful]).

another idea: if you really wanted to make things simple and easy for a beginning user you could add an auto-complete function (i.e. user types a D and Display pops up below as a possibility)
shmibs, I agree with you on the fact that doing the program to take inputs would be tedious. For that reason, I tend to prefer the look-up table idea. I currently use the TASM on calc compilers, so I can essentially just make a look up table like that. I am unaware as to whether the portion of the TASM that turns the asm into the executable could actually be used to do the converting.

I don't know if it is possible to upload a file here. If so, I'll post the TASM on calc compiler I use so you can see it.

Over the next couple of days, Ill be playing around with Celtic3 to see what it does.

And, my final question for now. When I make an APP out of this. I will obviously need BasicBuilder. But, when I ran BasicBuilder on another file, first it needed an emulator (which I now have), then it needed the APP signing program. Someone PLEASE tell me. What are ALL of the things I need to make an APP using BasicBuilder without any errors. And can it include an assembly program as a subroutine?
OK. Here's my current status. CLUELESS. lol.

Actually here's my final plan. I'll be creating a program that, when entered, essentially has the same commands as Basic, but dumbed down. Like, instead of Line(, my program will say DrawALine. And instead of DrawF, DrawFunction. Instead of getKey, GetKeyPress. You get the idea.

As such, I will be needing some help with an assembly program to create a new program from a string (as I mention in my first post). Also, I will need another asm program to scan the contents of a string and replace all [sto] with -> and all ['] with ". After thats done, I'll use BasicBuilder and call it a day.
ACagliano wrote:
OK. Here's my current status. CLUELESS. 0x5.

Actually here's my final plan. I'll be creating a program that, when entered, essentially has the same commands as Basic, but dumbed down. Like, instead of Line(, my program will say DrawALine. And instead of DrawF, DrawFunction. Instead of getKey, GetKeyPress. You get the idea.

As such, I will be needing some help with an assembly program to create a new program from a string (as I mention in my first post). Also, I will need another asm program to scan the contents of a string and replace all [sto] with -> and all ['] with ". After thats done, I'll use BasicBuilder and call it a day.
I bet it would probably be possible to use the token hook to display these things in the actual Basic editor. You know, just like all the different language apps included on some calculators.
Right you are, calc. But, the only drawback is that a calc hook can interfere with other APPs and stuff, and needs to be reset in the event of a crash. The program version wouldn't. If I become proficient in assembly at some point, I'll try doing as you suggest.
I have just completed the load screen, and the main menu. The main menu contains:

Commands to display
Commands to Ask
Conditional Statements
(Re)store Commands
Other

Other will contain:
Variables
Miscellaneous (stuff that is only found in catalog)

Each option at every step will have a description displayed at the bottom of the screen. Anyone reading this, please remind me any commands (besides the obvious) that I should make sure not to miss.
ACagliano wrote:

I may be wrong but I don't think you can use BasicBuilder to turn an asm program into an app.
lafferjm wrote:
ACagliano wrote:

I may be wrong but I don't think you can use BasicBuilder to turn an asm program into an app.

I can't. Even if the main program is Basic and the asm programs are just subroutines?
I officially have "coder's block"

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours