The Waters of Mars continues the 2009 season of Doctor Who, begun in The New Doctor and Planet of the Dead, in which the Doctor's character develops without a companion by his side. This episode continues the progression towards the regeneration of the tenth doctor, the highly-esteemed David Tennant, into Matt Smith's eleventh doctor. Without giving too much away, this episode continues to explore the Doctor's feeling of powerlessness in the face of historic, often calamitous events - remember Pompey and the force that Donna exerted over him in this instance? The Doctor lands on Mars in the year 2059, the advent of the first human colony on the planet, and of course, as always, drama and pyrotechnics ensue. I found the episode a tad shallow and disjoined, only coming into its own in the final ten or fifteen minutes, which ironically is the polar opposite of my criticism of Children of Earth's finale: a fifteen-minute quick wrapup-letdown marring an otherwise superb story and production. Nevertheless, this is a Doctor Who special, and far be it from me to criticize the superbulousness. Bonus: an old friend appears briefly at the end, and as elfprince13 mentioned this morning in another topic, epic trailers for the End of Time.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours