Eeems wrote:
we have to speak and put full sentences
Speaking in full sentences is excellent and desired; writing full sentences on your powerpoint, not so much.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
jbr wrote:
Indeed. The better your project would fare in the real world, the worse it seems to be in teachers' eyes.

My history teacher requires us not to speak (unless it is absolutely necessary, and even then you may get marked down) when presenting powerpoints. He has gotten it into his head that a powerpoint is supposed to be a document composed of full sentences that state everything you could possibly want to say.
Of course, the real point of a powerpoint (as anyone who writes presentations etc. for a living will tell you) is to simply contain key phrases and bullets. Your audience's attention is supposed to be on you, not on the screen.

Of course, the real reason he does this, I think, is so he can just set a presentation to play and not have to do anything.
Just to rant for a second, that is COMPLETELY wrong. In the real world, you should NEVER EVER have full sentences on a powerpoint - then people will be reading the powerpoint slides instead of listening to what you are saying. Powerpoints should have lots of pictures, graphs, and diagrams, numbered and bulleted lists of things, even phrases, but only enough that people can follow what you're saying structurally. In the professional world, minimalism is the name of the game with powerpoints.

Kinda reminds me of my cousin's math teacher who tried to explain that odd-ended numbers are rounded down and those ending in even numbers are rounded up Rolling Eyes Tech college ftw!!! 0x5

Woohoo! I can reply to both of you with one quote! Now, anyway:
Kerm, I completely agree with you, and I'm glad that other people see it the same way I do.
Ultimate Dev'r, I remember learning that too, as part of learning the basis of proper use of significant figures. Luckily, my teacher in that class wasn't an idiot, so he told us that he wouldn't expect us to do stupid stuff like that and that the only reason he told us about that was so that we would know why some people will do it.
jbr wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
jbr wrote:
Indeed. The better your project would fare in the real world, the worse it seems to be in teachers' eyes.

My history teacher requires us not to speak (unless it is absolutely necessary, and even then you may get marked down) when presenting powerpoints. He has gotten it into his head that a powerpoint is supposed to be a document composed of full sentences that state everything you could possibly want to say.
Of course, the real point of a powerpoint (as anyone who writes presentations etc. for a living will tell you) is to simply contain key phrases and bullets. Your audience's attention is supposed to be on you, not on the screen.

Of course, the real reason he does this, I think, is so he can just set a presentation to play and not have to do anything.
Just to rant for a second, that is COMPLETELY wrong. In the real world, you should NEVER EVER have full sentences on a powerpoint - then people will be reading the powerpoint slides instead of listening to what you are saying. Powerpoints should have lots of pictures, graphs, and diagrams, numbered and bulleted lists of things, even phrases, but only enough that people can follow what you're saying structurally. In the professional world, minimalism is the name of the game with powerpoints.

Kinda reminds me of my cousin's math teacher who tried to explain that odd-ended numbers are rounded down and those ending in even numbers are rounded up Rolling Eyes Tech college ftw!!! 0x5

Woohoo! I can reply to both of you with one quote! Now, anyway:
Kerm, I completely agree with you, and I'm glad that other people see it the same way I do.
Ultimate Dev'r, I remember learning that too, as part of learning the basis of proper use of significant figures. Luckily, my teacher in that class wasn't an idiot, so he told us that he wouldn't expect us to do stupid stuff like that and that the only reason he told us about that was so that we would know why some people will do it.

Woohoo! I get to add to a pyramid!!

Anyways, the vast majority of my teachers are against anything remotely technical... animations, sound effects, buttons, etc have always been a huge no-no for my powerpoints. Lately I've found that overheads tend to be more effective simply because I can write on them more easily, as well as quickly turn them on and off in order to avoid distracting the audience...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours