Okay, I think everyone needs to calm down...this is almost getting as bad as me vs. Arcane about a year back on UTI Neutral

Quote:
And the volt of the pelt doesn't matter as much as the watts, which is what actually translates into its cooling power (and what your extra PSU is going to have to power)

Well yeah, it does; you don't want 1000v going to a peltier moduleat 4W, do you? Razz Because any voltage higher than what the device is rated for is just asking for the part to fail Wink

Quote:
you have cover the front and back of the socket first

How do you cover the front? Confused

Anyways, here's a tutorial on how it should be done (if you're using water cooling with the peltier module): http://www.themodfathers.com/modfatha/articles/pelts.php
Wow, patl411 and Kllrnohj, let's just chill for a while.
@Kllrnohj: You clearly know what you're talking about, though I don't mind Pat's shorthand.
@Pat: I hear where you're coming from.
@UltDev: Good call.

Are we all square now? Smile
a barton 3200+ is 11x200, or 2200mhz, yes

i sure as hell hope you aren't planning on STACKING pelts Surprised

I've never seen anybody use more than 1 per cpu, as trying to use more is suicidal. Stacking pelts won't do anything, as the water cooling behind the pelt will never be able to take away that much heat, and thats assuming the water block can even be mounted behind such a high stack of pelts

Quote:
Well yeah, it does; you don't want 1000v going to a peltier moduleat 4W, do you? Razz Because any voltage higher than what the device is rated for is just asking for the part to fail Wink

you also don't want a pelt that pulls 200w to take down the rest of the system since the single PSU can't keep up

oh, and this is how you seal the mobo socket

and the modfathers page didn't load, i guess their server is down

and you might want to check out this link. its for a review of a pelt kit (wc+437w pelt), but it covers installation and things that went wrong.

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nzg5LDE=

[censored rant]
Quote:
you also don't want a pelt that pulls 200w to take down the rest of the system since the single PSU can't keep up

Laughing Well, a pelt can't really pull more than a few watts of power unless you modified it to (on purpose).

And how do you get the processor into the socket if it's all covered up with that solidified...'goo'?
Yeah, I was kinda wondering that myself...
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Laughing Well, a pelt can't really pull more than a few watts of power unless you modified it to (on purpose).

And how do you get the processor into the socket if it's all covered up with that solidified...'goo'?

not true, that review i linked to covered a kit with a 437w pelt. A low watt pelt is useless, as it won't cool the hot CPU enough. A decent pelt for overclocking a CPU should at least be 150w or more

Push the CPU thru the "goo" while its still "gooey". You don't really try and "fill" the pin sockets, just cover it
But wouldn't that kinda insulate the pins and make it pointless?
the pins and the goo cannot occupy that same space at the same time, hence the goo gets pushed out. So no, it wouldn't insulate the pins. Try it on an old mobo/cpu if you have one. put some of the goo on it, push the cpu in (and latch it), then pull it back out and see what i mean
Fair enough. I can honestly say though that I had never seen that method before...
thats the ONLY method i've ever seen for CPU TEC/Pelt cooling.... (from different places too)

Its also required if there is any chance of condensation Wink (pelt/phasechange/other)
I don't see where this condensation thing is a huge deal. As long as the Peltier Junction is surrounded by thermoconductive goo, perhaps with a small plastic tube leading away from the case, everything should be fine and dandy.
it has to be air tight, and insulated enough so that the condensation doesn't form on the outside of the insulation and drip down. If it was just thermoconductive goo, then the air around it would become cold, condense, and drip onto the mobo/cpu. I shouldn't have to tell you why THAT is bad Wink As for a tube going away from the TEC, there isn't room. The "hot" side of the TEC/pelt has to be cooled, and the only practicle way to do that is to use water cooling, which is going to cover the top of the TEC/pelt.

And you really don't WANT to "remove" the cold air with a tube away from it, as that defeats the purpose of using it to cool the CPU, lol, no, you want the coldness there, just have it not touch the air, as then condensation forms
yeah, well, I guess that can be a problem with pelts. I hope this all works well for you.
TEC/pelts can pay off big-time for OCing, aside from that, they are pretty much worthless (except to keep your beer cold Laughing - i only say beer because someone made a battery powered TEC cooled beer mug, it was hilarious looking)
what would keep my drinks cold alright. where did you find this info?
Quote:
the pins and the goo cannot occupy that same space at the same time, hence the goo gets pushed out. So no, it wouldn't insulate the pins.

Well, it probably would a little, because the socket isn't exactly the same size as the pins, so you may get some of the goo in there, which *might* hinder performance (put it would be very minute anyways...)

Quote:
not true, that review i linked to covered a kit with a 437w pelt.

To cool what? A beverage cooler? If it's for something to go over a CPU, I would really love to see a pic Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
it has to be air tight, and insulated enough so that the condensation doesn't form on the outside of the insulation and drip down. If it was just thermoconductive goo, then the air around it would become cold, condense, and drip onto the mobo/cpu. I shouldn't have to tell you why THAT is bad Wink As for a tube going away from the TEC, there isn't room. The "hot" side of the TEC/pelt has to be cooled, and the only practicle way to do that is to use water cooling, which is going to cover the top of the TEC/pelt.

And you really don't WANT to "remove" the cold air with a tube away from it, as that defeats the purpose of using it to cool the CPU, lol, no, you want the coldness there, just have it not touch the air, as then condensation forms

Umm, no, I was talking about making it watertight and leading condensation away, not the cold air. Rolling Eyes
Well, the condensation would be cold, and thus making the air around it cold Laughing
KermMartian wrote:
Umm, no, I was talking about making it watertight and leading condensation away, not the cold air. Rolling Eyes

take a soda out of the fridge, whipe it down, set it on the counter. Does it still "sweat"? of course it does, same thing would happen if you tried to do that (although it would be more equvalent to taking something out of the freezer)

the 437w pelt for the CPU:

i bought my peltiers yesterday, idk when ill get em

thot this was interesting: http://translate.google.com/...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours