My article is nearly complete, and i have a preview for anyone who gives a ****

http://archives.madpage.com/article.pdf (i couldnt resist, and it maintains my formatting)
Nice TI-83 font. Very Happy
We did the same thing with the first two issues of the 1337 newsletter. Otherwise, looks awesome to me.
the article wrote:

Anti-Piracy, Respect, and Its Relationship to the TI-Programming Community

*** Short Disclaimer: This article was written by Alex10819, and the views expressed within may not reflect the views of the site hosting this article. Should anything within this article offend you in any way, shape, or form, don't be mad at them...

In any online community, conflicts exist. These conflicts are often detrimental to the mood of the community, and often spring from a number of sources. Lately, two major conflict sources have been worrying me: Software Piracy, and a serious lack of respect towards others.
I used to play a MMORPG on the Internet, but I was driven out of the community by the swarms of new players, who had absolutely no respect for others. I quit the community about 2 weeks before i entered the TI community, and I was quite pleased by how well most people get along inside the TI community. Most TI programmers are extremely intelligent, and are capable of showing respect to others. The community forces out those who do not adhere to these standards (Hays games), and generally takes care of itself, though it requires help.
There have been several cases of piracy lately, where someones program was directly taken, renamed, and released onto an archive site. I will use a program by TI-Freakware for my example. TI-Freakware authored a program called AOD (Age of Darkness), and it became extremely popular on Calcgames.org. However, recently it has coe to light that someone has copied this program, renaming it and giving absolutely no credit to the original author. Blatantly taking a program, whether it is in TI-BASIC, ASM, C, or any other programming language, is unethical, and shows a lack of intelligence on the part of the copier. If you want to use a program someone else has made inside your own, there are ways to do so, and everyone will be much happier. If you want to use the TI-City (yes, I'm using TI-Freakware as an example again) battle engine, you should contact the author of the program, ask permission, and make them a co-author when you upload to an archive site. You should also make sure that you give them due credit inside the README file.
The other thing that has been irritating me lately is a blatant lack of respect. The TI community gets along fairly well, as long as you program ASM without a glitch. Lately, Kévin Ouellet (Author of Reuben Quest, a fully grayscale RPG written in TI-BASIC) has been coming under fire for programming in BASIC, when many of the people criticizing him could never come close to touching what he has done. If you have a problem with a program someone has written, it is not necessary to email them and say “j00 <|2@$|-|3|> /\/\'/ <@|_<!!!!!!!!! 1 P0|\|23|2Z j00!”. Instead, act like a normal human being and fill out an actual bug report. If you don't know what one looks like, you can find an example at http://archives.madpage.com/bug.html , and don't try to speak 1337 when you do so. Believe it or not, 1337 is not the universal language of Homo Sapiens... no matter how fun it may be to type. (but thats another rant)...
Also, think before you contact a programmer. As a programmer, I don't have time to read “Your program stinks! It doesn't really emulate grayscale, it just flashes lines on and off to make different shades of light black!”, and respond to it in an intellectual manner. No programmer wants to waste time explaining something so stupid, not even a new programmer, who might crack under the stress of idiots emailing pointless things to him/her. The point is, Programmers don't have the time to deal with idiots, unless that idiot has a good point. While i understand you might not know how to link your calculator to your computer, don't email a programmer about it. Yeah, the programmer will reply, but the answer will either: A) be a sarcastic comment B) be a link to the TI-Connect website C) be a link to a site that has a good FAQ (like calcgames.org). So, the moral of the story is simple: Think before you contact a programmer. I have created a list of Do's and Dont's for your entertainment.
Do contact a programmer if:
1.you have a good idea
2.you found a bug
3.you have an intelligent reason
4. You need help, and can speak clearly
Do not contact a programmer if:
1.you have an urge to Spam
2. the programmers product crashed your calc, and you cant be reasonable about it
3. you didn't bother to read the README file
4. you think string cheese is for wimps

The last thing I want to mention is the over usage of the term “noob” (in all its forms). The term originally applied to someone who was new to a community, but now seems to apply to everyone who isn't the person saying it. I consider myself a noob in the TI-Programming Community, mainly because I have only been programming TI-BASIC for about 6 months now. However, I have heard several people called noobs for reasons i cannot begin to comprehend. How can someone be a noob for trying to stop a flame war? How can someone be a noob for sticking up for a online friend? How can someone be a noob because they are better at TI-BASIC than many others? How can someone be a noob because they had a program pirated? How can someone be a noob for discovering a bug in a buggy program? I have seen people called noobs for all of these stupid reasons, and then some, and i want to know: When will it stop? Am i a noob because i know what GUI stands for? I think we need to tone down on the usage of the word noob, and do it soon. I'm sick of seeing good programmers shot down by people who are jealous. Recently the Omnimaga Forums were taken offline, and the Owner was threatening to remove all Omnimaga files because people were calling him a noob. While i do feel this was an over reaction, i don't believe that calling the creator of one of the coolest RPG's ever a “noob” shows intelligence. In fact, it just makes the community look bad.

If you don't agree with anything i have said in this short article, you can email me. If you agree with anything i have said in this article, please email me! You can contact me on Calcgames.org, Cemetech, alex10819 productions, calchaven, Tifreakware, TI-Programming Union, and several other calc related sites. Tell me what you think!

Accompanying Interviews:
Kerm Martian, author of DoorsCS, 2 time victim of direct software piracy http://archives.madpage.com/kerm.html
Jc, Calchaven.tk Admin, author of Bobgame. Calcgames.org regular poster http://archives.madpage.com/jc.html
Myself (alex10819), Author of TIM, Frequent poster on several forums

Kerm wanted a plain text version, so here it is... though it stinks...
Great, this'll look good in B1337 I.3.
I think so too, if we ever get it out.
Rolling Eyes First we need the HTML format.
someone who is really good at HTML should be able to do this no problem (not me, my HTML skills at null right now)
me? Neutral

Laughing I'm not a real expert when it comes to HTML, but I have a lot of time in my hands right now in the summer, and if I wake up on time, I usually have nothing to do all day Very Happy
Once we get the Cemetech Blockland server up, you can help us build Cemetech City...
heck, i wanna help too Smile i call elevator duty!
Nice! We'll need some people to learn to be train engineers too. Smile
w/e... OT...
KermMartian wrote:
Rolling Eyes First we need the HTML format.

i could make an HTML format version, if i could see the original that you want the html to mimic, but its a dead link to the .pdf
Dead link? Seriously? I thought I had fixed the PDF links. I'll check it out.
my webhost has suddenly become a bitch to deal with... im looking for a new one as we speak...
I can host your files temporarilly until you find a new host
dont worry about it... as soon as i get the files moved im gonna write them a VERY nasty letter
Laughing Good idea. What's the host, so I can avoid them?

BTW, the pdf links:
http://www.cemetech.net/projects/basicelite/newsletter/I-1.pdf
http://www.cemetech.net/projects/basicelite/newsletter/I-2.pdf
100webspace.com

the first link doesnt go anywhere...
yeah, I will avoid them to. Maybe designerz-core wouldn't be too bad, but I really don't want to change hosts.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours