Errm, I mean under there.
alex10819 wrote:
Errm, I mean under there.
I still have no idea what you're talking about. Razz
Well, I was making fun of you for spelling semitic wrong. Then I was hoping I could get you to say "Under where?"
Oh, I get it now, so mature. Razz
DShiznit has been unbanned pending good behavior. Future bans will be longer.
Repeated anti-Semitic behavior? This was the only time I was really anti-Semitic(and I was joking, allthough I realize of course how un-funny it can be), the "Anti-Semitic imagery" was a Habbo raid parody, but to be honest the censored text was funnier than the image. Anyway sorry about that. I'm still having a problem though, it comes up all messed up, with the image corrupted and overlapping 3 times, and when I hit ctrl-alt-delete his eyes flash static. Maybe it is just ATI cards. I'll have to test this on my PC downstairs. Anyway I'd like to restate my suggestion of a better Hitler picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/Adolf_Hitler_cph_3a48970.jpg

I don't know why anyone would want to seriously glorify him with this kind of picture, but it's funny.

Kerm's edit: turned the image into a link.
Meh. I chose the head-on picture because it gave a good view of the eyes.

As for the problem, it sounds like you're not actually booting a 640x480 framebuffer.

That's what I got when the system booted with an 800x600 framebuffer. Advice for that problem: check your kernel parameters are correct.
DShiznit wrote:
Repeated anti-Semitic behavior? This was the only time I was really anti-Semitic(and I was joking, allthough I realize of course how un-funny it can be), the "Anti-Semitic imagery" was a Habbo raid parody, but to be honest the censored text was funnier than the image. Anyway sorry about that. I'm still having a problem though, it comes up all messed up, with the image corrupted and overlapping 3 times, and when I hit ctrl-alt-delete his eyes flash static. Maybe it is just ATI cards. I'll have to test this on my PC downstairs. Anyway I'd like to restate my suggestion of a better Hitler picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/Adolf_Hitler_cph_3a48970.jpg

I don't know why anyone would want to seriously glorify him with this kind of picture, but it's funny.

Kerm's edit: turned the image into a link.

Make sure you are using the VESA framebuffer device and not the ATI one (the ATI one only supports some really old and ancient ATI cards). If you are getting corruption using the VESA framebuffer, then it has nothing to do with the card and would be incorrect VGA= setting as Tari stated.
The Tari wrote:
Meh. I chose the head-on picture because it gave a good view of the eyes.

As for the problem, it sounds like you're not actually booting a 640x480 framebuffer.
*snip*
That's what I got when the system booted with an 800x600 framebuffer. Advice for that problem: check your kernel parameters are correct.

Holy crap! That is looks creepy as hell! It's like a whole army of Hitlers took over your screen! Also, the messed up interlacing makes it look like there is an intentional transparency effect.

Basically, it looks like a starwars movie starting five Hitlers.
How do I check/change kernel parameters? I'm a complete linux noob, I've only ever used Puppy for recovering files...
DShiznit wrote:
How do I check/change kernel parameters? I'm a complete linux noob, I've only ever used Puppy for recovering files...
If you're using GRUB, it's /boot/grub/menu.lst. If you're using LILO, then I have no idea.
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
If you're using GRUB, it's /boot/grub/menu.lst. If you're using LILO, then I have no idea.

If you're using Lilo, install Grub. I mean, honestly, come on...
foamy3 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

If you're using Lilo, install Grub. I mean, honestly, come on...

I'm pretty sure I've never actually seen LILO in the wild.
All the workstations in my high school were Thinkpad laptops, and they used LILO to select between a network image restore and normal bootup. I've never seen it since.
elfprince13 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've never actually seen LILO in the wild.

Ubuntu 8.10 recommends LILO if you select XFS for the root filesystem since the version of GRUB that Ubuntu uses frequently locks up for some reason (GRUB doesn't have any XFS issues for other distros).

That said, as I understand it LILO was popular back in the day and then died out due to it being a huge PIA.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours