Well I ordered it last night and it should be here by next week Wednesday. I ordered Vista Home Premium 64bit along with it for $99 + a free T-Shirt. :p I Hope to have it dual booting Vista and Ubuntu by the end of next week.
I have a question about the partitioning first though. It will have a 320GB HD and what I was planing on doing was a 60GB vista partition 60GB for what ever nix I go with and have the other 200GB for storage. I figured that way I can have things shared more easily between the OS's and if I need to do a reinstall of either I won't lose any data, what do you guys think of that. Or should I just do two 170GB partitions? I might even make the Vista and Ubuntu partitions smaller and split the extra space in half and mirror it on both partitions, just for the extra security, though I'd need help setting that up.
Also which file system type do you guys suggest I use, for my nix system that is? I plan on having the other partitions be ntsf just so I don't have to mess around to much with vista.
I prefer XFS due to the performance advantage over all the other common ones (although I'm now tempted to try out ZFS via FUSE), but ReiserFS is a good alternative (nearly as fast, more stable), and ext3 is good all-around.

Per the partition sizes, you'd probably be OK with something like 40 GB for your Linux install, 40-80 (matter of preference there) for Vista, and use the rest (minus a < 100 MB /boot partition and some swap) for general storage (as NTFS, since ntfs-3g is win like that).
I would do 40-50gb for linux (ext3), 2gb for swap, and the rest for Vista (ntfs is your only choice Razz). Then I would make symlinks in your linux home directory to point to your music, video, etc... directories in Vista so that all your media is shared Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
I would do 40-50gb for linux (ext3), 2gb for swap, and the rest for Vista (ntfs is your only choice Razz). Then I would make symlinks in your linux home directory to point to your music, video, etc... directories in Vista so that all your media is shared Smile

I think I'll go with this because it just seems to make more sense and fewer partitions would most likely be better. ext3 is tried and trusted requiring no extra installed software. For size I'll go with 45-60Gb for the linux partition, just to make sure I have lots of spare room though I doubt I'll need it. I should do the symlink thing on my crappy comp too now that I think about it that would make more sense.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours