This weekend i am staying at my aunts house and she has broadband. Because of this i was wondering if there is anything you would recommend downloading that i could take back to my house, while i'm here.
Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin or Trillian, Blockland and TBM.
if you thought about trying Ubuntu, good time to get it also.
Got them all. Have any others i should get?
Savage: Battle for Newerth.
I haven't actually played it, but I've got windoze and Linux installers sitting on my Ubuntu paritition.
I'd suggest OpenOffice, but I think you can install the windows version by putting the ubuntu cd in while already booted into windows.

But I really suggest the game Nexuiz, and all 7 of these cds: www.rhymetorrents.com
I don't normally listen to hip-hop, but nerdcore music is hilarious. Smile
BitTorrent is a good choice, as well as LimeWire. If the computer doesn't have a reliable virus scanner, get AVG Free from Grisoft. CCleaner is good to get rid of all the useless temporary files and uninstalls stuff faster than Windows' built-in uninstalling utility. Audacity is a must if you are interested in music. Download GIMP if you are interested in art and don't have Photoshop already. WinRAR is good for all those .zip and .rar files, and even if it is shareware, the only thing different is that you will see a weird pop-up every time you run WinRAR after 40 days.

As for games, I'm not a huge fan of downloaded games, but there are a couple of game demos you might like on download.com or BitTorrent.
foamy3 wrote:
But I really suggest the game Nexuiz, and all 7 of these cds: www.rhymetorrents.com
I don't normally listen to hip-hop, but nerdcore music is hilarious. Smile

Those are freakin' funny. You can guarantee i am gonna dl them.
don't get winrar, get 7-Zip, does everything winrar does, plus more, and it is OSS.
rivereye wrote:
don't get winrar, get 7-Zip, does everything winrar does, plus more, and it is OSS.
I second that. 7-zip's a great program, and I use it on my own computers.
rivereye wrote:

I use WinRAR myself, and I love it - particularly the context menu and the "Extract each archive to separate folder" option Smile. But please elaborate, and explain what this "plus more" is, as as far as I know, 7-Zip can't do multiple archive extractions into separate folders.

Oh, and you can get the source to unrar, too Wink
I, too favor 7-zip over WinRAR, mainly just because of the "Please Register!" dialog. When I open an archive, I don't want to be forced to say 'No thanks'. I never really deal with more than one archive at a time, but I do like the archive splitting which 7-zip does (WinRAR does, too, I know). I also prefer the tuning you can do with 7-zip, such as changing the dictionary size and the .7z file format. More than any bells and whistles thing, I've probably based my usage of 7-zip on its compression.
Yeah, but Kllrnohj got in on the free license day, so he doesn't have the nag screen. That could be part of it.
I use 7-zip portable. As part of the 'protection' at school, students can't unzip stuff. I just keep firefox portable, 7-zip portable, and utorrent all on my flash drive. There's not much I can't do anymore. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Yeah, but Kllrnohj got in on the free license day, so he doesn't have the nag screen. That could be part of it.

Actually, I never actually got around to installing and USING the Key for that version (its specific to the version that won whatever award it got that triggered the free license day) - it only pops up to ask you that if you open the file in WinRAR. Instead, I just right-click and hit "extract to <archive name>", and you won't get that license pop-up at all...

Hm, now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I actually opened and used WinRAR itself - I always use it via the context menu's, which don't open the full GUI or trigger the license reminder.
The Tari wrote:
Savage: Battle for Newerth.
I haven't actually played it, but I've got windoze and Linux installers sitting on my Ubuntu paritition.

I have it sitting on my desktop to =D I got it because some of the members of the developer team are ones working on Project Offset.

I looked at what it is and iirc it looks like an idea EXTREMELY similar to one that I think would make a great Genre (and I think there already may be some games like it), where its and rts, but you can take over a specific unit, like a gunman, and play it like and fps. Or even a builder and maybe go into puzzle games etc. I think this is like that, except every unit is a different player (online)

EDIT: For virus protection, I recommend Avast! Its free for home use, and it is a million time less annoying than Norton or Mcafee. Very efficient and thorough.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours