I just got a new TI-84+ SE (my TI-84+ died an unspeakable death), and I was wondering, to open the case, what kinda bit do I need? I was thinking Torx T6, but I dunno. Any suggestions? Graphing Calculator
I always just used a flathead that fit.
How small of a flathead?
I seemed to have luck with an allen head, but thats me.
Ive heard alot about people melting pen-tops and stickin' them in, but that does'nt seem to work as the hole is way too deep for that.
westsider_gw wrote:
Ive heard alot about people melting pen-tops and stickin' them in, but that does'nt seem to work as the hole is way too deep for that.

At that, I'm really intrigued in this topic. Are you trying to take your calc apart? If so, why? How would a 'melted pen-top' help with anything?
lol you melt a pen top, and while its still soft, shove it into the slot, weather its a torx slot, or a flathead slot, matters not. Doing tis makes a custom bit for you to use. This works especially great when opening up NES games, or other crazy cartridges that have weird bits.
Ingenious. Neutral

Haha. Quite clever, really. Wish I could be credited with that idea =/ Laughing
Alright. So far I am gonna have to try:
1.) Small Alan Wrench
2.) Small Slot ScrewDriver
3.) The Force
4.) ???
westsider_gw wrote:
How small of a flathead?
Something just a speck larger than this (yay, scanner!):

If you print it out how it is, it'll be the same size of the original thing. But seriously, I just tested around with what I had until I found one that fit.
You do indeed need a Torx-6, or you can use the lighter/ballpoint pen method.
ALRIGHT! Now to find a T6...too bad RadioShack doesnt sell any for under $15 (They come in sets of a bazillion). ALSO, anybody think my Idea will work? I have 2 GREEN LEDs, and Im gonna try to power them from the calc's 1.6v pwr supply. I suppose im gonna have a problem because each LED requires 2.1v, and wiring them Parallel sorta eliminates the project. I dont have to wire them that way, but batteries would be drained quickly. Sad
Well, you could always just add in a solar power source for them Razz
Totally wrong on several counts.

[0. Hardware store for the screwdriver]

1. There's no 1.6v power supply inside the calc. 4xAAA == 6.0V.
2. If you put them in series, add a 500-1000 ohm resistor in series (anywhere in the range will work), and finally drop in a switch, you'll be good.

[+] on PCB -------/\/\/\/\/-------(|>)------(|>)--------[-] on PCB
Quote:
Well, you could always just add in a solar power source for them Smile

TOTALLY PRACTICAL! A lightfor the dark, that requires light to run!
westsider_gw wrote:
Quote:
Well, you could always just add in a solar power source for them Smile

TOTALLY PRACTICAL! A lightfor the dark, that requires light to run!
I think his "Razz" smilie implied sarcasm. Smile
Sry Kerm, I meant 6v earlier, I was watching TV while typing. lol
westsider_gw wrote:
Sry Kerm, I meant 6v earlier, I was watching TV while typing. 0x5
Nevertheless, my advice is still quite valid.
So, 500-100 Ohm? Does anywhere in between work?
westsider_gw wrote:
So, 500-100 Ohm? Does anywhere in between work?
No, 500 to one THOUSAND (1k ohm). Try at the higher end first and see if that works. Better yet, if you know the ratings on your LEDs (Imax, Isat, etc), I can work it out precisely for you.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours