Hi, sorry if it sounds kinda newbish, but couldn't much of the work on making keyboard drivers be bypassed by emulating the official TI keyboard's functions? I mean, a microcontroller could probably be programmed to translate from a PS/2 device to whatever the official keyboard sends over the serial, right?
Yeah, it's entirely possible, but that requires a lot of hardware work. In addition, the PS/2 protocol drivers already existed and just needed a little debugging.
could be, but the TI keyboard is about 20-30, with a PS2, they are a lot cheaper. Take you pick.
Sure its possible, but it would cost money. Money for the microcontroller and other misc hardware needed. Why spend money when with an investment of time (which some of us have a lot of), you can get the same affect albeit much cheaper?
Good point, though it would be nice to tap in ti-basic programs and those long, annoying equations in with a calculator while at home. Is there any documentation at all on the TI-keyboard, btw?
I don't think you can use the TI-Keyboard like that. I think it too can only be used inside of an app, although I am not 100% positive on that
Interesting... I just see the thing advertised now and then, but I have never seen one in action or found much about it in the way of details.
If you want to be able to type with a keyboard, you're better off just using the Ps/2 drivers.
The TI-Keyboard types normally without the use of apps or anything else. you don't even have to use the stand it comes with, you can just plug in a link cable and it will work.

It does not, of course, support any of the menu keys... <.<
That's because of a TI-OS linkhook though - it doesn't work in ASM programs that aren't using _getkey.
It does not work when a basic program is running either, but you can type with it without running a program first. Basically, a plug and play device. Wink
Here's a routine that will call getkey but keep on going and not wait for a keypress: Smile
This may be helpful, I don't know.

Code:
set 4,(iy+9)
bcall getkey
res 4,(iy+9)
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but can the PS/2 keyboard option be used in basic or asm programs? Can it be used on the homescreen?
rager wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but can the PS/2 keyboard option be used in basic or asm programs? Can it be used on the homescreen?
Not currently, unless I can manage to put it into an interrupt. At present it only works within ASM programs.
Does that even matter though? Its not like you are going to be able to type numbers any faster on the keyboard than on the calculator, and I don't think the homescreen lets you type in the commands with the keyboard....
You cannot type in the commands period and expect them to work on the 83+. The 85, 86, and 68k do though. You can simply type in the commands instead of hunting them down in the menus.
yeah, that is where the 83+ does fall short in some ways, and in some ways stands tall also (because commands are 1-2 bytes instead of 4+ each.
rivereye wrote:
yeah, that is where the 83+ does fall short in some ways, and in some ways stands tall also (because commands are 1-2 bytes instead of 4+ each.

The commands would still be the same size Wink The difference is that TI was too lazy (or didn't have the space) to implement a parser

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours