I want to start a site/forum for Outside the Box Programming. Can anyone give me some detailed steps on how to get it going? Also, I probably need an admin or two to help out generally. Thanks in advance.
find yourself a host that allows php and mysql and ftp uploads. then install phpBB or SMF and off you go.
I think you need to go into a little bit more detail. I'm still generally a computer newb, after all...
use google to research and find yourself a host that supports at least the following:

php
mysql
ftp uploads

other things to look for:
decent bandwidth + file storage
custom htaccess files are nice.
calc84maniac wrote:
I think you need to go into a little bit more detail. I'm still generally a computer newb, after all...

then start googling for information. Elf told you what you needed in as simple terms as possible (reinforced by the fact that his "more detailed" post just restated what he said first). So start with step one, and find a host. If you don't understand the terminology, then start googling for info. Wikipedia is a good place to start as well
Eh, I think I'll wait for a while. It all seems too complicated atm.
not at all, I started a forum when I was far nooblier than you are now.

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Web_Design_and_Development/Hosting/Free/Personal/
true, if anything, you can also start an Invisionfree forum software. Btw, I might be able to help out with things if you need it.
rivereye wrote:
true, if anything, you can also start an Invisionfree forum software. Btw, I might be able to help out with things if you need it.

no offense, but IF = teh sux. you get stuck with sheisty ads and no control over what mods you can install. and a huge spambot target.
true, but for someone who has no knowledge of forums, it is easy to use actually.
Please use something other than IF, something where you can install phpBB and some of its great mods, like SAX for example. Wink
rivereye wrote:
true, but for someone who has no knowledge of forums, it is easy to use actually.

phpBB is a 2 click install, and the ability to do whatever you want later when you know what you're doing make it worth it. SMF is quite good as well.
KermMartian wrote:
Please use something other than IF, something where you can install phpBB and some of its great mods, like SAX for example. Wink

My thought exactly Kerm!

Although, I'm still having troubles with SAX... not to put it, or you for that matter, down...

As for a host, I'd use netfirms.com, but you cxan't drag and drop files, you have to (a) upload 10 items at a time, or (b) get a web publisher software to upload for you.

After that head to, the CP in your host, setup a MySQL (not sure if the freebie accounts comewith MySQL, the one I pay for comes with one MySQL $5 a month for 6GB's of storage), then save the PW, DB name, and username to a text file for temp storage, and perferballt later reference, then past the text into the propriate fields, and click install. Viola!
you would have an issue uploading 10 files, as there a lot in phpbb.

btw, how do you get a publisher to upload it. You can point them my way, I can give you an early pre-alpha version of my CMS with phpbb included.
Trust me I've done it. I did a base forum, where I just copy the whole directy to a new location. But as for a uploader, Dreamweaver and Front Page. Dreamweaver doesn't place some files *humph*
Wait, dude, check it out:
Start --> Run --> explorer ftp://[username]@ftp.[domain].com

Incredible.
Holy Hell! Surprised

Thats useful! Thanks for the pointer mate! Back to comp final =P
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
Holy Hell! Surprised

Thats useful! Thanks for the pointer mate! Back to comp final =P
Wait ... you seriously never heard of ftp before?! What rock have you been living under??
no no, I have. I just didn't know that was the url. I thought it was ftp://[username].[host].[host-ext] For me, I thought it was: ftp://glanville1.netfirms.com =X

BTW, sax works now, yay!
if you don't like Invisionfree, there is forum hosting at http://www.forumready.com/

However, keep in mind, that this is not running phpbb, but E-blah, which is the forum and portal software that we use at bluecrimson, so don't expect flashy mods or the like. However it is a good solid board so far and has been bot spam free as well. I don't even have the spam filters on at this point.

I Also can't vouch for their service since I don't use it but it's free, not IF, and E-Blah has been reliable so far.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours