Looks like it works! 5.064v coming off it from the zener diode regulator, and plugging in a keyboard or mouse turns on the calc. I'll test it when I get home.

Red = +5v
Black = gnd/com
Yellow = tip
Orange = ring.
this is cool Kerm, i might do this some day if i get a spare calc
so can you switch between PS/2 and normal linkport?
You don't even have to switch - just use whichever one you want to use. They're wired in parallel, so no switching is necessary.
KermMartian wrote:
You don't even have to switch - just use whichever one you want to use. They're wired in parallel, so no switching is necessary.

so would it be possible to just slice open a mouse cable and rewire it onto a 2.5mm audio cable?
No. If you look closely, I've soldered the red and black wires to the two large gold pads (you can't really see the black wire on the right, but you can see the tiny orange-red diode connected to the left pad, which I assure you is connected in turn to the red wire. The PS/2 devices need up to 275mA at about 5v, which is supplied by the calc. Those two pads are where the battery contacts hit when the batteries are connected.
KermMartian wrote:
No. If you look closely, I've soldered the red and black wires to the two large gold pads (you can't really see the black wire on the right, but you can see the tiny orange-red diode connected to the left pad, which I assure you is connected in turn to the red wire. The PS/2 devices need up to 275mA at about 5v, which is supplied by the calc. Those two pads are where the battery contacts hit when the batteries are connected.

what about external power supply from AAAs? that would also increase the calcs battery life.
Yup, that would be fine. That's my only real concern at the moment, that the batteries may not be able to produce enough current to power the PS/2 devices. We shall see.
excellent, I can easily get spare mice for free (I have one already), its much harder to find spare calculators.
elfprince13 wrote:
excellent, I can easily get spare mice for free (I have one already), its much harder to find spare calculators.
'Tis true. I had to do some major shaving down of the motherboard to make it fit; I'm surprised the calculator still works at all (which it does, by the way). If I can get mouse and keyboard SEs written, that would be an extra impetus for you and other to build adapters.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
'Tis true. I had to do some major shaving down of the motherboard to make it fit; I'm surprised the calculator still works at all (which it does, by the way). If I can get mouse and keyboard SEs written, that would be an extra impetus for you and other to build adapters.

perhaps mouse and keyboard drivers should be built in so we don't have to worry about SE/GUIMouse problems

[edit]

hawtness, I just realised Im within 42 posts of surpassing my UTI post count
Whynot to make them built-in:
1) Extra space taken up, which means less space for doing other stuff
2) 'Twould lag badly if no PS/2 devices were connected.
KermMartian wrote:

re #1) you have 2 whole pages! how low are you on space?
re #2) just do what windows does and check once at start up Wink
Re: 1) Less than you'd expect. The GUI routines take up a huge amount of space; I have about 7k still available.
Re: 2) But that would break the hotswapping support I currently will be building into the SE.
KermMartian wrote:

It wouldn't lag if you had an option in the menu to turn it off, would you?

And how about a premium version with all of the official SEs and cool features built in, for those with Silver Editions?
KermMartian wrote:
Re: 1) Less than you'd expect. The GUI routines take up a huge amount of space; I have about 7k still available.

how much do you expect gCn to take up? cause the driver has to be under 2304 bytes correct?

KermMartian wrote:

Re: 2) But that would break the hotswapping support I currently will be building into the SE.

what about foamy's idea to turn mouse on/off?
foamy3 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

It wouldn't lag if you had an option in the menu to turn it off, would you?

And how about a premium version with all of the official SEs and cool features built in, for those with Silver Editions?
If I built SEs in, though, they don't work quite as well, since they're not SEs anymore. They would be substantually lower in speed because of being in the app (chances are I'd be jumping to the second page). And the PS/2 stuff will take, max, about 300 bytes. I may perhaps add it in at some point. We shall see.
*bump*

Edit: holy #^&#^&, it works perfectly. The ol' TI can certainly give enough current for both keyboard and mouse. Both work perfectly. *Yay.*
I really need to finish mine, but this is good reference, expecially that you can just wire it into the pads on the board- I was planning to wire it up the the battery compartment, but I guess the calc's voltage regulator does everything we need.
I'd probably have mine finished by now, but I need to shave down another the port, because one of the pins broke off the first one when I was trying to put it in.
No no - I used a 5.1v Zener as a regulator.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours